Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will a 635 nm red laser diode burn anything?

k1kb0t

Depends on how much power you can get out it. Where did you get the diode from?

Jon

Most likely not. Most 5.6mm 635nm diodes are rated for 7mW max, which is the equivalent of one of those cheap pointers at the supermarket. Even if it was a 100mW laser diode, it would be hard to burn things with because those diodes are multimode and have a bad focus.

I've got a 500mW 635 module in my projector. I can't say I've attempted burning with it, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Low-Q

Most likely not. Most 5.6mm 635nm diodes are rated for 7mW max, which is the equivalent of one of those cheap pointers at the supermarket. Even if it was a 100mW laser diode, it would be hard to burn things with because those diodes are multimode and have a bad focus.
Even with a row of LDs placed correctly, the focal point would be the same for all. A multimode laser should, if made correctly, project the beams in the same direction. If they do, the focal point for each LD would join together in one single point. So the focus would still be good. This is special for lasers with multiple coherent light soutces. You cant expect that with multiple non coherent light sources, like LEDs.

Vidar