Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will 650nm safety glasses stop 662nm light?

Well, this is my first post here, and I hope it won't be the last.
I'm really interested in lasers, specially in the burning ones.
A month ago I tried to make my own DVD burner homemade laser, but it was a fail. I could extract both reading and burning diodes, and the reading one (5mW) is still working with the driver I made, enclosed in his axiz housing. The burning diode suddenly blew up when it was starting to light (I put the potentiometer of the driver in maximum resistance and started decreasing it). I think it was overheating, but I don't know.

As safety goes first, I went to wickedlasers and bough their Laser Shades for red 650nm laser.

I searched in many places to find a high power cheap laser, and I found DealExtreme with the one you call "Dilda". Ive read here that this laser emits 662nm wavelenght, instead of 650nm. Will my glasses stop that laser? Should I buy a new ones? I've also read about optical density, and wickedlasers doesn't say anything about that. Do you know the optical density of WL laser shades?

Thanks for your answers. My english is bad,if you can't understand please tell me.

Nah, the goggles will be fine for the Dilda laser. I own a Dilda laser, and I own one of those goggles. So from personal experience, I can say that it'll work just fine :)

Okay, thak you! I'll order it NOW!!

1€= 1,5 dollars, it costs me 40 euros with batteries, charger and plug adaptor. really cheap.

Now wait 15 days...

Do you know if i'll have some problems with customers? I live in spain and here high power lasers are allowed (they aren't banned ), but i don't know if they can consider them as a weapon...

Wait a second. WL have two sets of goggles for reds don't they?

*checks*

Yes, yes they do. I have the sport elite model, and they work fine. I'm not sure about the other ones, but I can guarantee they'll work just fine with the dilda :)

Although I haven't seen any documentation or test that confirms it, according to several LPF members the lab style WL shades have an OD value of 3+. Goggles protect against certain wavelength ranges, not a single wavelength. Most goggles go down steadily at the end of their protection range, but some go down quick and steep. Bottom line, it's likely that you're OK with the goggles. If likely won't cut it for you, get FDA certified goggles with specified range + OD value.

Sidenote: DX itself labels the dilda as a 655nm laser.

Murudai said:
Wait a second. WL have two sets of goggles for reds don't they?

*checks*

Yes, yes they do. I have the sport elite model, and they work fine. I'm not sure about the other ones, but I can guarantee they'll work just fine with the dilda :)

He doesn't have the sport elites. Those goggles have their OD specified on the WL site and on the small documentation note from NoIR that comes with them.

Petrovski said:
Although I haven't seen any documentation or test that confirms it, according to several LPF members the lab style WL shades have an OD value of 3+. Goggles protect against certain wavelength ranges, not a single wavelength. Most goggles go down steadily at the end of their protection range, but some go down quick and steep. Bottom line, it's likely that you're OK with the goggles. If likely won't cut it for you, get FDA certified goggles with specified range + OD value.

Sidenote: DX itself labels the dilda as a 655nm laser.

Hmmm OD 3+ is for max 125mw right?

Where can I find 4 or 5 OD googles?
How much they cost?

I can spend max. 50 euro (75 dollars aprox)

I don't want to lose my eyes :S

I've got the "lab style" glasses, i can't post the link due to spam filter, the sport elite ones have nearly 3 OD with 650mW.

Wow don't worry, OD 4-5 is overkill, I highly doubt you'll lose your eyes with the WL lab style goggles. With OD 3+ you're more than safe for the 200mW dilda laser:

OD = log(attenuation factor).

OD 3 = 10^3 = an attenuation factor of 1000

So I you would take a direct hit from a 200mW, your goggles would attenuate the beam to 0.2mW. More than safe, maybe even too safe as the higher the OD value, the less visible the laser dot will be.

All of this is based on the assumption that those WLs are indeed OD3+ of course. If you had a laser power meter you could verify this yourself, but I take it you don't have one. I think I've read that other LPF members did test the WL goggles and came up with the OD3+ value. Several people use those goggles are seem to be happy with it.

If you want to play on the real safe side and want certified goggles (which means their OD value is verified and that they can withstand a direct hit for 10 seconds until the dye of the goggles begins to deteriorate), I'd check out the OEM goggles:

http://store.oemlasersystems.com/in...2_7_17&zenid=411592ad8c926f6d04aea79d31835a24

Okay, the last question.

To test my googles I hit them directly with a 5mW red laser from axiz. It was a 10 seconds or less direct hit. Of course I wasn't wearing them during the test.
I've read that googles' dye can deteriorate... Can my glasses be broken because of the test i did? Will they still protect me? I did this test just after they arrived to me.
Can the dye be deteriorated with normal use? Should I buy a new ones after some time?

I've also read in other website that those WL googles aren't ready for direct hits, they are done to block laser reflections. I'm not stupid and i'm not gonna hit my eyes directly, but if that happens accidentally and it's a short hit (less than a second) will my glasses avoid eye damage?

I'm really worried about safety, because it's my first high powered laser.

Ahm, why do you call DX laser Dilda? It's because it's dildo shape?

The dye can indeed deteriorate, but not from a mere 5mW red. Don't hit it with a dilda for 10 seconds for instance, I'd say that is likely to create a weakness in the dye. I'm not sure how the dye holds up when you're talking about aging, but I don't think you need new goggles every other year or something like that. Maybe that's a question you should ask Frothychimp from OEM, he knows his safety goggles.

If the WL goggles are OD3+, then can easily withstand a direct hit from the dilda. Even without certification I highly doubt the dye will deteriorate in less then a second.

And yes, it's called a dilda exactly because of that. ;D