Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wide beem green lasers for daylighet use help!

I have bought two laser pointers in the past and both have too thin/narrow
a beam for my purpose. I am a biologist and we use these for highlighting tree
positions for animal/bird watching.

I need 10mw power, colour green, that can be seen in daylight, and has a good 'relatively wide' beam. Both lasers I have bought have a much smaller beam than colleagues have purchased.

One site store recommend me a "Green Long Distance Laser Designator", i have no idea whether it is according to my requirment. Can you guys please advise? Or which laser you would recommend?
10mw, green, wide beam for visible daylight use...
:thanks:

Tony

anselm

I need 10mw power, colour green, that can be seen in daylight, and has a good 'relatively wide' beam.
What you want is impossible. The beam of 10mw of green is very hard to see in daylight, only maybe
if you hold the pointer close to your face and look right down the beam.
Also, the wider the beam, the less bright it is for any given power.
How wide (diameter in mm) does the beam have to be?
How far are those trees you're pointing?
Are we talking bright-and-sunny or cloudy daylight?
Do you need to see the beam at all (because you ask for a wide beam)
or do you really only need to see the dot?

Last edited:
What you want is impossible. The beam of 10mw of green is very hard to see in daylight, only maybe
if you hold the pointer close to your face and look right down the beam.
Also, the wider the beam, the less bright it is for any given power.
How wide (diameter in mm) does the beam have to be?
How far are those trees you're pointing?
Are we talking bright-and-sunny or cloudy daylight?
Do you need to see the beam at all (because you ask for a wide beam)
or do you really only need to see the dot?

Actually, just a little wider than normal 10mw laser pointers would be enough.
Trees maybe 7-15 meters tall. I would like the lasers can be see a dot in the bright-and-sunny day. would it be possible? :cryyy:

IsaacT

The dot could be visible, especially in the shade of the tree you are illuminating, however unless you have just lit fire to the forest or it is super foggy, a 10mW's beam will be practically invisible...

For widening the beam, you might consider getting a beam expander. A beam expander will widen the beam, and keep it near that width over a large distance. You can buy them at places like Optotronics or Dragonlasers, but they are also possible to make, if you have one convex lens and one concave lens. The bigger the difference between the focal lengths, the wider the resulting beam will be.

You don't need to see the beam to "highlight tree positions." beam expander is overkill. You can just use a focusable green to change the dot size. 50mW would probably be better for daylight, especially with a larger dot.

You don't need to see the beam to "highlight tree positions." beam expander is overkill. You can just use a focusable green to change the dot size. 50mW would probably be better for daylight, especially with a larger dot.

I think you hit it right on the head. Get a focusable green laser as this will allow you to enlarge or shrink the dot as you desire.

The dot could be visible, especially in the shade of the tree you are illuminating, however unless you have just lit fire to the forest or it is super foggy, a 10mW's beam will be practically invisible...

For widening the beam, you might consider getting a beam expander. A beam expander will widen the beam, and keep it near that width over a large distance. You can buy them at places like Optotronics or Dragonlasers, but they are also possible to make, if you have one convex lens and one concave lens. The bigger the difference between the focal lengths, the wider the resulting beam will be.

Oh, great, though i'm afraid if i can make it, it's worth to be tried.

Your're right! :thanks:

airports use lasers to scare away birds. the lasers don't affect them very much. if you are looking for a good laser try one in the links below or another off the site. The second link has the transformable models which will have a higher quality focus ring and longer battery life. They are also a little more expensive and larger. O-like has different mW ratings for both styles and i would highly recommend both as quality products.
1.New cute pocket Green laser 50mW /adjustable [OLCGL50] - $34.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products
2.100mW transformable green laser/adjustable [OLV6100] - $81.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products