Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wickedlasers Core Diesection Tutorial!

Ok since i got my core open i thought i would post a little tutorial :) and some information.

First off the disclaimer.

I do not suggest EVER Taking your core/5mw apart in any way. I will not be held responsible if you break it doing this.

I did this out of boredom. with some decent results!

1st i got some help from some forum members. I tried to use a razor with no luck. I ended up doing damage to the host without much result if any at all. So with that being said i went straight on to the garden tools. I used a anvil pruner - http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/structron-anvil-lopper-replacement.jpg. The top has a sharp blade and the bottom has a flat aluminum jaw. I grabbed a piece of rubber and placed it on the lower jaw "this is why the sticker is gone" and proceeded around the edges with them putting a fair amount of pressure on the host and i was careful not to crush it, as i did that the sticker slid off so i recommend you take it off before hand. I got the front end to budge just enough to get the blade in the crack and i wiggled it out. This was rather difficult. When it got to the end the host jumped out so be careful not to snap the end off and thats all!

Here are some pictures. Remember my host was in "very" good condition before hand. These photos were taken from my Nexus One phone using a wicked lasers cap set for the closeups.

Host and module.
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2079/img20100729192323.jpg

Module top
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/5958/img20100729192516.jpg

Module bottom
http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/7434/img20100729192627.jpg

Last edited:

Re: Wickedlasers Core

I know John_Lawson has done it. I think you just run (carefully) a razor blade around that groove in the head, just above the label, and keep going until it starts to work it's way out. It's just press-fit in there, I believe.

I know John_Lawson has done it. I think you just run (carefully) a razor blade around that groove in the head, just above the label, and keep going until it starts to work it's way out. It's just press-fit in there, I believe.
This man is 100% correct :D

Moptsp

I have done it. I couldn't seem to do it without damage, but I kept it to a minimum. Yes, it's press fit.

Ok thanks. Anything I should be aware of while I do it and does anyone want info about it?

got it open, thanks guys! If anyone is interested ill post some pics. I did how ever do some things..... (pot mod)..... and my laser is better than ever!

I understand pot modding is not really supported here but i thought id post my results anyhow.

I don't have a lpm to measure the power but its about 3x brighter than before and does sting skin when i magnify it. It doesn't sting like my 100mw but its slightly uncomfortable.

Thats about all. When and if it dies ill probably put a phr or 6x in it. Im pretty sure the pump is the correct size isnt it?

Thanks,
Jeff

got it open, thanks guys! If anyone is interested ill post some pics. I did how ever do some things..... (pot mod)..... and my laser is better than ever!

I understand pot modding is not really supported here but i thought id post my results anyhow.

I don't have a lpm to measure the power but its about 3x brighter than before and does sting skin when i magnify it. It doesn't sting like my 100mw but its slightly uncomfortable.

Thats about all. When and if it dies ill probably put a phr or 6x in it. Im pretty sure the pump is the correct size isnt it?

Thanks,
Jeff

ur gonna pump violet lol?

Yes I am. When you pump violet into yag/ktp crystals you get about 1-1.2 W of blue! :san:

But no I will remove the innards of the old green and replace it with a 405 diode.

awlego

Yes I am. When you pump violet into yag/ktp crystals you get about 1-1.2 W of blue! :san:

I want to know how to do this. Please provide more details/links to other resources if possible.

Thanks! :)

I want to know how to do this. Please provide more details/links to other resources if possible.

Thanks! :)

I dont know what would actually happen but i can tell you it would not come out blue or anywhere near blue :p. I posted it as a joke ;)

Edit: My sincerest if anyone actually thought it was real.

That module should be 12mm. No need to gut it when it dies. Just replace the whole thing with a aixiz module. They should be the same diameter, but i'm not sure if that IR driver will have enough voltage compliance for a BR diode though. Plus not a lot of thermal mass available for heat sinking. Probably shouldn't go higher than a PHR.

Last edited:
Heh, people HAVE rolled their own DPSS. It's not easy, but I heard of a guy on here who actually successfully rolled his own yellow (593.4) -- now THAT's rough.. Some of the frequencies that CNI has, really makes me jealous, and I really wonder how much more it costs them to make than 532. :)

Heh, people HAVE rolled their own DPSS. It's not easy, but I heard of a guy on here who actually successfully rolled his own yellow (593.4) -- now THAT's rough.. Some of the frequencies that CNI has, really makes me jealous, and I really wonder how much more it costs them to make than 532. :)

In the actual manufacturing costs, probably very little difference. The difference would come from R&D costs needed to figure out the optimal coatings, temperatures to run the crystals at, etc to get the highest stable output.