Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked lasers torch! 99$! - Review!

UPDATE: I got this for 99$ during the Torch fire sale. The price as of this edit is 149$

Talk to you all in a few months when it arrives. If you have specific questions concerning the flashlight. I will be taking notes and get back to you when it arrives.

Thanks,
Jeff

Review!!!!

So I got home today from work and my mom gave me a package that arrived today. The shipping address was from AZ and the package weighed 4 lbs? I had not ordered anything from AZ but i knew it was my torch because just a few days ago WL emailed me a bougous looking "order completed" email. So I had not expected to get this today if at all and half expected some "gifts" as some people got... But again I did not even think I was going to get it so im not complaining. Moving on!

I started opening the plastic packing (Two layers of it! I suppose they are drop shipping these?) to reveal this!
IMG_20110613_155524.jpg

I then proceeded to cut away all that bubble wrap.
IMG_20110613_155602.jpg

After making a huge mess because of all of the packing materials (which was a HUGE pile, I suggest having a garbage can/bag nearby if you order one.) I ended up with this.
IMG_20110613_160134.jpg

Now immediately i noticed that this flashlight is "different".

First off the paint finish is not gloss. It is anodized which is not too bad. I have seen other people get a "gloss" finish like most Mag lights have. Secondly the logos and such are different. There is no "Wicked Lasers" logo anywhere on it? I find that funny because everything I own from them down to safety glasses, boxes.. well everything has their logo on it... so I found this to be quite strange. Moving on!

Now after a little bit of cleaning up I started to take a look at the directions and such they gave me.
IMG_20110613_171101.jpg

I then proceeded to charge my batteries because the ones they sent were completely dead. After about an hour wait the green light finally turned on and they were done charging. Now a few things I would like to discuss about the charger and batteries. I read alot of things about these batteries getting hot while charging. My batteries barely changed tempature while charging. I know from experience nimh batts do get fairly hot when you charge them. These batteries get "VERY" HOT at the end of the charge. Im sort of concerned they may explode. The charger comes with 3 connections. A positive, a negative, and a temperature sensor. I do not know if the sensor actually does work. I may play around with it later and see if I can trip the green light. Here is a photo of the battery closeup for anyone interested. http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk98/jeffreythe00/IMG_20110613_170556.jpg

Now overall the flashlight is pretty solid. It seems these new models are made of the same material that my cree 6 aurora flashlight is made of. I don't think that is a "bad" thing. The threads are "okay" and I stress OK because the spring is pretty strong and it seems it would be pretty easy to strip the threads. The threads are smooth but not the greatest. They are pretty tight. I would suggest a dab or two of thread lube to help your threads last :). Not too much because this thing draws "ALOT" of current. It could be pretty hazordous to get shocked by this. I left the clicky on and it makes some pretty violent sparks when the flashlight is drawing current. Now the button is absolutely perfect. Its not too hard to press and its not too loose. Just perfect!

Now down to the pros and cons:

Pros:

Very solid
Very bright! I dont even dare to look directly into it.
Very smooth tail clicky, Absolutely perfect!
Seems to distribute heat real well. I can feel the heat off the battery in seconds after charge.
99$ is not bad in my honest opinion though im not a flashlight-o-holic (suggestions?)

Cons:

60 min charge! Not like the claimed 30 mins!
<15 min battery life
Threads are a little tight and may strip. (Thread/gear lube suggested)
"3 Month Wait" Utter bull crap.
Not focuseable

Thats about all I can think of for now. Ill try to make a video when it is dark. :)

If anyone has any questions PLEASE ask. I really like to answer questions if I can.

If i am forgetting anything please let me know!

Some extra photos!
IMG_20110613_170539.jpg

IMG_20110613_170627.jpg

IMG_20110613_170634.jpg

IMG_20110613_221256.jpg

IMG_20110613_220026.jpg

IMG_20110613_220018.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMhkDoo7dCU&feature=channel_video_title

Thanks!
Jeff

Last edited:

What size battery does it take? How did you get it for $99 the website says $149?

Good review. +rep

It takes a custom battery with a bunch of nimh cells in it.

I got the torch during the "Torch fire sale" I actually didn't think the sale was over. Ill update that I'm my thread. Thanks for pointing that out.

I would get one but I dont want to have to use WL batteries. I think I could probably build a better one for less anyway

Nice review 1+

I hope to get one of these one day just for the hell of it :rolleyes:

Nice Review.:)

So is the head basically a Mag lite head.? With some work done to it, to add those grooves in it. The Reflector looks the same as a Mag lite.

I like it. It looks cool.

Thanks for showing this.

+:beer:

The whole thing is essentially a Mag623.. The design was sold to WL years ago by i think a member of cpf named.... cmacclel.

IIRC you can build your own but its costly.

Yes that is what i remember the light style from i just could not remember up until you said it. Thanks for the info. He must of got a nice pay check on that.;)

I think for 100$ its a good deal. But the custom battery thing kinda stinks. You better order months before.:crackup:

Last edited:
There is a Guy on CPR who can make you custom welded batteries but I have Jo idea what he will charge

No beamshots? No spotshots! :(

Very very nice review though!

Beamshots added!

I had to add a exposure on the beamshot... My camera sucks :( so hopfully its good enough. This is a "VERY WIDE" throw. Its exactly what I wanted so no big deal here. I know some people prefer nice tight beams with a nice throw but this is what I wanted so you all can.... Well get your own flashlights!

Oh and just for the info... it "DOES" burn things.... INSTANTLY. Ill add more later :) and maybe try and cook an egg. I also like the fact that this disperses heat exceptionally. I half expected it to get hot in the heat in a few seconds but its actually only "really" warm but not uncomfortable in about 60 seconds of use. Not bad :)

Ash

I also ordered one when they were $99. Mine should be arriving soon.
Wish I cold find those same batteries for less than the $35 each wicked wants to charge. :yabbmad:

35$ is alot for batteries.. I don't know where else to get em so even though they are 35$ I bought a spare. Ash did you get a shipping update? I got an order completed email and it arrived a few days later. The tracking number didn't work tho.

Ash

Oh. Not yet. I called them a few days ago and they said that they had a backlog of +150 unshipped Torch orders. They finally got chargers in and they are starting with shipping this week (Aargh Wicked-LIES... LOL).
banghead.gif

Anyway, they said that three days after they send it, I would get a tracking number via email. The tracking number probably won't work. They are really getting hammered by custom$ lately.
I do expect it next week...
fire.gif