Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers - Sonar 200mW

I previously included the Sonar in an order, but cancelled it when I found out that it uses CR123 batteries. I was under the impression that these are expensive and somewhat uncommon. I also heard that the rechargeable ones are the wrong voltage for use in these lasers.

Anyway, I'm still wanting one. I wanted to wait until WL decides to make the Sonar compatible with 18650's, but this will probably never happen.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with the Sonar yet. Has anyone tried using rechargeable CR123's in one of these? I don't want to kill the diode or simply have the laser not turn on.

Also, does anyone know of a good brand of rechargeable CR123's available from Amazon or some other reputable retailer so I don't have to order from some shady company in China? In addition, I have heard that not all CR123's are the same size, so I'd need a brand that is known to fit in the Sonar's host. I'm also looking for a reliable CR123 smart-charger.

Any information you have is appreciated.

Last edited:

Remind me again why you're dealing with WL? :thinking:

-Trevor

Because I'm not a nutjob conspiracy theorist who believes that Wicked Lasers is a deep, dark conspiracy carried out by Zombie Hitler, the Illuminati, Jimmy Hoffa, and George W. Bush to steal all of our money and use it to take over the world?

But thanks for the ridiculous off-topic reply. Try answering the questions next time.

Careful there, bad attitudes aren't really too welcome. He was simply trying to warn you about wicked lasers, as they are known at the moment to be liars. If you have experience soldering, try building a blu-ray. it's really easy, a violet was my first build. The sonar isn't focusable, so you won't get burning performance like you would with your own build. Wicked has NICE hosts, but their downfall IMO is not being able to focus.
Have a great day, and good luck with a build if you build one:)

Careful there, bad attitudes aren't really too welcome. He was simply trying to warn you about wicked lasers, as they are known at the moment to be liars. If you have experience soldering, try building a blu-ray. it's really easy, a violet was my first build. The sonar isn't focusable, so you won't get burning performance like you would with your own build. Wicked has NICE hosts, but their downfall IMO is not being able to focus.
Have a great day, and good luck with a build if you build one:)

It's not a bad attitude. Lots of LPF veterans are getting sick of the insane WL conspiracy theories too. These people need to grow up and realize that delays do not mean "we are stealing your money and never sending you a product".

I have no engineering experience whatsoever, so building a laser isn't really a realistic goal for me.

Just trying to figure out if I can use the Sonar with rechargeable batteries.

Haha I'm just sick of WL. I cancelled my arctic. I'm building my own. And I fully understand what you mean. However, WL should give their customers communication, at the very least.
And, it's quite easy, i promise. Just read up on here, and use the search function, and you'll find what you need.
However, if you REALLY don't want to build, these should work fine.:)
CR123 3.0V Soshine Rechargeable Battery - Detailed item view - OdicForce Lasers Online Shop

Trevor

Because I'm not a nutjob conspiracy theorist who believes that Wicked Lasers is a deep, dark conspiracy carried out by Zombie Hitler, the Illuminati, Jimmy Hoffa, and George W. Bush to steal all of our money and use it to take over the world?

But thanks for the ridiculous off-topic reply. Try answering the questions next time.

It was actually quite on-topic, given what I quoted. I was pointing out the irony of your statement.

you_mad.jpg

Just so you know, no one is going to be able to tell you anything about the Sonar. The price was ridiculously high (before the drop), and WL was already known for not delivering up-to-spec lasers, so no one (at least from here) was going to buy one. Moreover, building one was less than ten percent of WL's price.

The bad reputation of WL (before the Arctic) and a lack of results in a search for the Sonar probably could have told you that though... :shhh:

-Trevor

Kevlar

Just trying to figure out if I can use the Sonar with rechargeable batteries.

Have you tried sending WL an email with your questions? Why not go directly to the source?

Last edited:
Have you tried send WL an email with your questions? Why not go directly to the source?

Justsaying, Wicked hasn't exactly been up to par in the customer service department. but I agree, he could try. Ive tried cancelling my arctic twice, and no reply. I'm getting a bit worried, to be honest. I cancelled about 4 days ago.

Kevlar

Justsaying, Wicked hasn't exactly been up to par in the customer service department. but I agree, he could try. Ive tried cancelling my arctic twice, and no reply. I'm getting a bit worried, to be honest. I cancelled about 4 days ago.

Personally, I've never dealt with WL, and I don't like their host, IMO they look like toys.

I only buy from extremely reputable companies (like optotronics who re-sell viasho lasers) or build by own.

I was just thinking if he doesn't believe WL isn't so bad, just ask them...

cr123a's aren't very popular and are somewhat rare. here in canada, they dont sell them in populated stores (best buy, future shop) so i think you can find them more online. correct me if im wrong but i think rcr123a's are the rechargeable type for this battery. they are the same size and run at the same voltage and mA.

Kevlar

You can get good CR123s from Lighthound, here in the good ol' U.S.A. for as little as $1.50 each. These are 3.0V/ea

CR-123A Lithium Batteries

If you get Li Ion they are 3.7V/ea but fully charged 4.2V/ea. So which ones you could use with that laser would be a question for WL.

I asked Wicked Lasers already. They said that the Sonar is not officially certified for use with Rechargeable CR123A batteries, which basically means "We didn't test our lasers with rechargeable batteries, so we don't know if they work, so just don't use them because we don't want to be liable in case they don't". They couldn't give me a straight answer as to whether the batteries actually work with the laser.

This is why I'm asking this community, because I'd prefer to find someone with actual experience with the laser.

It was actually quite on-topic, given what I quoted. I was pointing out the irony of your statement.

you_mad.jpg

Just so you know, no one is going to be able to tell you anything about the Sonar. The price was ridiculously high (before the drop), and WL was already known for not delivering up-to-spec lasers, so no one (at least from here) was going to buy one. Moreover, building one was less than ten percent of WL's price.

The bad reputation of WL (before the Arctic) and a lack of results in a search for the Sonar probably could have told you that though... :shhh:

-Trevor

I could've guessed from your first reply that you were childish and couldn't actually maturely discuss a topic. Now I just know that you need to go back to 4chan, troll.

And I'm fully expecting the obligatory, "I've been here a lot longer than you, so I'm more qualified to post here than you are" nonsense. Could've fooled me.

Don't post on a thread where someone is asking questions if you're not even capable of answering those questions. Trolling doesn't help anyone.

Last edited:

Kevlar

Well, like has been said, not many people have had experience with this laser considering it's exorbitant price prior to their price drop.

I don't think $1.50 per battery is bad if you followed the link I provided above.

You should really try building one. Jayrobs kits are pretty much already done for you if you get the hot option, just have to solder a couple wires. It's much more satisfying. When someone says "Hey, where did you get that laser?", you can say "I built it" LOL.

Before I built mine, the only soldering I ever did was making stick figures in my grandfather's garage!! LOL. Everything I know I ready here on LPF or found on-line, even "how to" soldering videos. Check the 2 links in my sig, should get ya started.

Last edited:
Well, like has been said, not many people have had experience with this laser considering it's exorbitant price prior to their price drop.

I don't think $1.50 per battery is bad if you followed the link I provided above.

You should really try building one. Jayrobs kits are pretty much already done for you if you get the hot option, just have to solder a couple wires. It's much more satisfying. When someone says "Hey, where did you get that laser?", you can say "I built it" LOL.

Before I built mine, the only soldering I ever did was making stick figures in my grandfather's garage!! LOL. Everything I know I ready here on LPF or found on-line, even "how to" soldering videos. Check the 2 links in my sig, should get ya started.

Wow, really? I was under the impression that Jayrob's kits were missing a few important pieces like the Diode and Driver and such.

Trevor

I could've guessed from your first reply that you were childish and couldn't actually maturely discuss a topic. Now I just know that you need to go back to 4chan, troll.

And I'm fully expecting the obligatory, "I've been here a lot longer than you, so I'm more qualified to post here than you are" nonsense. Could've fooled me.

Don't post on a thread where someone is asking questions if you're not even capable of answering those questions. Trolling doesn't help anyone.

Um. Don't use the internet if you can't take people busting your chops...? Here, we call that getting "interfended." Just ask the admin... ;)

My best guess would be that WL does not use a proper driver to power the diode. Therefore, it will likely not be able to handle the higher voltage. Unfortunately, no one is going to be able to give you a concrete answer (including WL... :shhh:), because only a handful of people have reviewed their lasers, a small subset actually paid for them (free review units were given), and I'm sure a much smaller subset actually paid for the ridiculously overpriced (at the time) Sonar.

EDIT: @Above: He does indeed sell some relatively complete kits, last I checked. Which was, admittedly, a while ago. Back when I still had the delusion that bringing me, a soldering iron, and a laser diode together in the same space was even remotely a good idea.

-Trevor

Last edited: