Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers S3 Krypton - 1W Review

nevumx

OK then,

This review will not only be for the S3K, but also for Wicked Lasers in general, as I love the way they have done their job.

wl_logo.gif

So to give you an idea of the shipping situation, all of their products are shipped from China, which, considering the lasers' amazing quality, is worth waiting a little longer for. However, if you buy anything over $200, you automatically get $20 Express shipping which only takes 2-3 weeks (I got mine in 2 weeks + 3 days). Now if you buy something under $200 and take the cheaper $10 Airmail shipping, be prepared to wait longer than the posted 4 weeks, as today marks 4 weeks on my S3 Expanded Lens Kit order, and it is still a couple of states away from me, but since USPS is facing extinction, I'll let it slide... for now... :scowl: I'll also let it slide because their Customer Service is so damned friendly no matter how many n00b questions I ask they answer them for me with no hesitation, so 100 points to them...

Anyway, onto the laser! When it arrives, chances are it'll be in this rugged-looking bag at the foot of your mailbox. Personally, I think this is a great idea, because no one really wants to steal a haggardly-looking plastic sack from your mail so you'll generally get the laser in its un-stolen form.
So when you rip apart the bag in all your schoolboy-worthy anticipation like I did, you'll find the following items:

- 1 set of Wicked Lasers LaserShades, complete with Wicked Lasers-branded lens cleaning cloth and carrying case.
IMG_1757.jpg

- 1 of the coolest-looking batteries I've ever seen
IMG_1759.jpg

- 1 battery charger
IMG_1760.jpg

- 1 carrying holster, complete with Wicked Lasers logo
IMG_1766.jpg

- 1 Lens for 100% Power.
IMG_1764.jpg

- 1 of the most badass-looking lasers you will ever experience, equipped by default with a lens for 20% Power (which is more useful than you may think).
IMG_1768.jpg

...and the manual that nobody reads...

So, first thing's first, when you go to charge the battery, the positive end is the one with the pressed rim. How are you supposed to know this? Well what about that manual you should have read???
ScreenShot2011-11-21at32400PM.png

OK, fine, should have read the manual, whatever! Now what? Wait four hours. Go play Call Of Duty until the light on the charger turns green, and now comes the moment you've been waiting for! Unscrew the back-end of your laser and put the battery in (neg. end first!) and push the button on the back end and... nothing. A new on-switch illuminates, and on the opposite side of it one of three lights starts blinking... Back to the manual...
ScreenShot2011-11-21at35142PM.png

Ohhh OK, a safety feature! That's good. So after that, it enters 18 Hz Strobe mode and...
ScreenShot2011-11-21at35441PM.png

More features than you could want, right? The 20% and 100% lenses do their job as you'd expect, cutting power if you don't want to wear those badass LaserShades while you're burning wood, or whatever. I am going to recommend you wear them at all times, even if I don't, trust me when I say that the beam will reflect off of more surfaces than you think!

Like I mentioned, I've yet to receive my Expanded Lens Kit, so when I do, I'll finish this review, but until then, I'll say one more thing about the laser itself:

When you hold this thing, and yes, it's a lot bigger than it looks on the website, its sheer weight and solidity gives such an assuring feeling that it was crafted by a master and was made with such painstaking effort, that I have to emphasize the beauty in the workmanship of this product at least once. As for the beam? Dear God, it only reinforces what I say here. I've never seen anything so beautiful. It will cut through a Sharpie cap outright, and makes a dazzling line when you shine it into the (aircraft-less) night sky. Magnificent barely begins to describe it, and despite a couple of insignificant flaws here or there, I couldn't be more satisfied with this laser. 9/10.

IMG_1771.jpg

UPDATE:
Video of the S3K in action...

The video is also attached as a .mov...

Attachments

• IMG_1780.mov
    15.9 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:

LaZeRz

Mate, seriously, you wasted 1k on an under spec laser from a company that is supported by pure lies. Please get the thing measured so we can see the actual power these put out.

People here who joined in on the fire dragon group buy got lasers rated at 300mW's that peaked at around 550mW's of pure green output, no IR for 150 dollars. Hmm, what's a better deal?

Don't mean to bash you but you should have done some research before sending money to a bunch of scam artists.:beer:

nevumx

Two words: Aluminum Casing. Translation: Worth it.
Also I don't have a measuring device handy, sorry about that...
How about this, I can't look at the full power dot on the wall without nearly blinding myself. Sorry I am not quite as advanced as some.
And, I don't exactly understand how you can say it's supported by lies.

Last edited:

LaZeRz

Aluminum is cheap as chips. We can get custom made 100 percent aluminum hosts the size of an arctic for around 100 dollars or less depending on the size we want. Check out some of DTR's reviews.

Also, Wicked lasers uses shady business tactics like stating power in the fine print. The actual specs of this specific model are 500-1000mW's. They also state BS like saying this thing can tear into space and damage the ozone layer :whistle:

Now, Don't get me wrong, you put together a nice review and I will + rep you for it. I'm just stating my hate for wicked.

As long as your enjoying your laser, everything's good :)

ps. I typed everything on an iPod. Takes a toll on your fingers :p

Last edited:

LaZeRz

Hey hey! Get your dad to join the forum :D

Lol, have you by any chance got to go to work with him? That would be highly entertaining.

Btw, welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay :)

nevumx

Yeah, he is in greece and has no free time, and yes I have gotten to work with him somewhat, he is a partner in his own company, so he doesn't do much "lasering" anymore, but I was using a 20W CO2 laser just for fun, and that thing was boss, it would literally burn wood faster than a wood burner at full power, but the power supply gave out and he had to send for a new one, stupid me using it on full power for too long lol.

Where is the quantifiable data? Few if any of your findings are subjective or repeatable. Next time, less of this:

gnyMp.gif

More of this:

AixizRkcstr120mAPowerGraph.gif

:eek:

I couldn't be more satisfied with this laser. 9/10.

You seem to have contradicted yourself. ;)

The 20% and 100% lenses do their job as you'd expect, cutting power

It has always bothered me that wicked calls these lenses. They're not lenses at all. One is a window, and the other is a nd filter.

Express shipping which only takes 2-3 weeks

Them and I disagree on the definition of "express."

LaZeRz

I get my stuff from Moh in 2 weeks with 2 dollar shipping, that's from America to aus :p

Another wicked laser victim lol :p wel thanks for the review and hope your laser is better then the other ones ;)

greetings,,

I would NOT buy from wicked lasers as their lasers have poor divergence and comes with dirty lens usually...

I think for one of your first posts this is a great review. It is more than understandable that you do not have an LPM yet, so +1 for the review. Lots of us here are sore about WL's practices over the years, so it's best not to toot the WL horn around here. ;)

TuhOz

So you bought from Wicked Lasers... :p

Well, if you're happy with your laser, its fine to me :D
Congrats on the laser!
I / We would be interested in the LPM readings, so tell us if you get the laser LPM'd :)

+1 For nice review!

Last edited:
Well I will be buying one of these shortly when some money clears.. and there will be LPM results a plenty..

OH YES THERE WILL BE BLOOD!

If it turns out 1W then sweet.. but I still don't rate them.

LaZeRz

Well I will be buying one of these shortly when some money clears.. and there will be LPM results a plenty..

You mad?? Buy a firedragon off the next GB instead.

Last edited:
Long review... not going to WL and objectivity bash since that's already been covered by others... I completely agree with them though:whistle:

Since you're new to the hobby obviously you don't have an LPM, but how about some pictures and/or video?

Btw, 90%+ of the hosts used for handheld pointers are aluminum, and while it's a great host, it has one HUGE minus... it's not focusable.

Yup... blood, sweat, some tears, and torn out hair... yours. Best case scenario you get an underspec and overpriced laser after 3 or more weeks of waiting. Discover that it is underspec, send it back (at your cost btw) and get ANOTHER underspec laser in exchange.

So the only reason I can think of to go through that is if you enjoy being hurt.

You mad?? Buy a firedragon off the next GB instead.

Half the price, and same amount of power, if not more... it's a no brainer.

EDIT: +1 for posting some nice pics:)

Last edited:

jimdt7

Very nice review, i wish you had a LPM.
Where do you live because i live in Greece too, so i can LPM it for you if you want.
+1 :beer:

Jim