Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers as at Summer 2016 - my own experience

Hello lasing Collective,

I've been on this 'scene' for a good few years now. It all started with the good fortune of having relatives in Toronto, which also happened to be the location of arguably one of the most/more respected laser manufacturers/suppliers in the game - Laserglow. So this brand got me into the scene, culminating with a relatively rare example of a Hercules running at around 900mw RMS.

So I guess I stumbled into the scene in a good way.

Come 2016, I had an itch to get hold of another laser. Obviously - the notorious (on here) Wicked Lasers brand will rear its head - heavy marketing effort, etc.

Reading on here, one would seem to have to be a complete muppet to buy from these guys. However - I decided to literally take a punt on their new Krypton, prepared to end up with quite an expensive lemon. You know - taking one for the team.

So it arrived recently (I live in the UK) - and I'm frankly rather blown away, not least because I've come from a position of very negative hype.

I'm into torches too (Nitecore, Olight, Klarus), and do have a half-decent idea over what a quality product looks and feels like - from quality of anodising, to angle, pitch, consistency of screw threads for the tail cap, and the inclusion of a printout of the particular laser's power graph test, etc.

If I didn't know any better, I'd have assumed that this product was premium, end of. Everything from very detailed, well laid-out instructions - in excellent English with perfect grammar and punctuation - through to the inclusion of protective glasses (also decent quality), and holster, and a few other items. It also came with a battery too.

I was then thinking that they've sorted out the host and presentation in order to pull the wool for their final act - a naff, underpowered diode/laser - as one would expect, going by this forum.

The UI is also excellent - extremely well thought-out.

However - in comparison to the Hercules, I expected it to fall short - but would still have been happy. There was a time where their spec for this would have been 'between 500mW and 1W' - but these days it is a 'minimum' of 1W.

It turns out that it is brighter than the Hercules - and at a rated 1.2mw (power graph) - this makes sense. I further tested this through burn-tests on wood, at varying distances - and it is equally as powerful here. It's likely putting out more power, but the beam profile prevents it from laying it down as well as the Hercules - the Herc has a smaller round dot, the Krypton a rectangle (2x7mm).

So certainly, the beam profile is odd to one who is used to a DPSS laser - but direct-diode would seem to produce this as a facet of its construction.

It is of course a 520nm beam - and I was also expecting not to like its bias towards cyan - but I actually prefer the colour to the Herc's beam, to my surprise. It's still 'very green' - just a tad different shade, and I'm not seeing the cyan I was expecting.

So there you have it - it would seem that the foreword in their instruction manual - about how Wicked Lasers are run by enthusiasts, and who are striving to make good products - may finally be putting their money where their mouth is. The change of management might have had an effect finally.

If Nitecore made lasers - I'd expect it to look and feel like this.

I've written this tome in case my sample is not the exception but now more the norm for WL - in which case someone who's actually happy with their product needs to speak up! Somebody somewhere there has clearly worked hard to turn things around. And with their reduced prices, I see this gear as very good value.

I'm currently/so far as proud to own a flagship product from these guys, as I am to own all of my Laserglow gear.

Arif

Sta

Welcome to the forum, Arif. Thanks for your review.
You mentioned the decrease in prices - but WL is actually still woefully overpriced.
For $400 - $100 less than the WL price - you can get a 1W 520, in a full 2x26650 host, from Sanwu, a company that has a much better reputation than WL. This means 3x the battery life with basically the same features - electronic lock, same modes, et cetera.

Thanks for the welcome sir! I've got a flame-proof jacket ready lest anyone think i'm some kind of a WL fanboy. Happy to be corrected on price-perspective, but I've come from only ever buying Laserglow, where to get to that league (1W continuous-duty Green) would be easily over $2000 - but still IMO worth every penny.

Somebody on an earlier thread said that the diode could be had for $220 - but that then reinforces my view over value-for-money at $500. All the host work, finishing, premium presentation. accessories, battery and cheap charger - add up to a good deal to my mind.

So this is it - for me, having come from Laserglow (which I see as the 'Lamborghini' of laser-builders) - I see even $500 as almost too-good-to-be-true, given that it does these days seem to be a genuine wattage put out.

With products like this - as with cameras and torches - I think that their presentation should be spot-on too. I've never experienced the Sanwa purchasing journey, but I wonder if anyone else is currently going to such effort - to redeem themselves!!

Last edited:

94Z28

Hmm put on that flame proof jacket I have the flame thrower in hand! :lasergun:

We appreciate your feedback on WL but I think it will take a lot more then 1 users positive feedback to turn these guys opinions around.

The type of person I am makes me inclined to try and build it myself before I make any purchase of something as expensive as this hobby has proven to be.. and although I may not have the exact look of WL I think I'd prefer my PL-E over it anyway. A lot of us will never purchase a WL because we feel safer doing our own builds, me included. But it's good feedback for the guys who may purchase one!

Oh and jk about the flaming! AND I drool overy any LG Hercules please get us some pics and add the lasers you own to the signature thanks.

Pman

I'm glad you like it and feel it was worth what you paid for it. The most important thing is if it was worth it for you then it doesn't matter what the rest of us think.
They really blew it a few years back and there are many people still around that had bad dealings with them and it's hard to get past that. They do charge a premium for their units as some others do. What has always bugged me the most is their claims of always having the most powerful which just isn't true. I don't know if they still claim that or not but it's deceitful advertising and I don't like it. To my knowledge members here have always been able to build stronger ones than they offer and for way less $ and that is still true.

Hmm put on that flame proof jacket I have the flame thrower in hand! :lasergun:

We appreciate your feedback on WL but I think it will take a lot more then 1 users positive feedback to turn these guys opinions around.

The type of person I am makes me inclined to try and build it myself before I make any purchase of something as expensive as this hobby has proven to be.. and although I may not have the exact look of WL I think I'd prefer my PL-E over it anyway. A lot of us will never purchase a WL because we feel safer doing our own builds, me included. But it's good feedback for the guys who may purchase one!

Oh and jk about the flaming! AND I drool overy any LG Hercules please get us some pics and add the lasers you own to the signature thanks.

Hey bud! Thanks for not actually flaming! Certainly mine is currently a lone voice among a myriad of those previously ripped off and/or mistreated by WL. However, if they've changed their ways - and the 'customer experience' for me suggests this to me to be the case (e.g. rapid delivery to the UK - genuine stock levels cited on website) - then some of us need to chip away at the old reputation.

In other realms I have the energy to self-build/tweak (look up 'jet-powered Maverick Blackout' on YouTube, under Arif L) - but with lasers I just want to press a Buy button and have something fantastic in the post some days later! I'm the same with torches - I don't do anything interesting with them, just find a decent brand and stick with it mostly.

I will indeed sort pictures and signature very shortly!

I'm glad you like it and feel it was worth what you paid for it. The most important thing is if it was worth it for you then it doesn't matter what the rest of us think.
They really blew it a few years back and there are many people still around that had bad dealings with them and it's hard to get past that. They do charge a premium for their units as some others do. What has always bugged me the most is their claims of always having the most powerful which just isn't true. I don't know if they still claim that or not but it's deceitful advertising and I don't like it. To my knowledge members here have always been able to build stronger ones than they offer and for way less $ and that is still true.

Hey Pman! You're all such a friendly and constructive bunch - quite a breath of fresh air!

I certainly get the not mattering what others think angle - but equally, it's a mug's game being happy with a lemon, which has been bought for physalis prices!

The main reason I posted was that there was I sat with a laser-shaped hole in my life, and wondered if there were any decent routes to ownership - and I now suspect that WL could be this. I discount Laserglow in this specific instance because they are super-premium price and build - whereas I wanted a relatively low-cost entry.

Their world record claims centre around 'commercially-available, and handheld (battery-powered)' - against which it matters not if any of us can build better. I really think that (wonder if) it was the Hercules that got them going. Their instruction manual does very honestly show their 2007 Guiness World Record certificate - so I would count that as being honest!

And putting it back to the community here
- who does then commercially make/produce a green laser that is battery-powered and handheld by design? With the Hercules down to 800mW max - does WL not now hold the record? And any contenders will need to be readily purchasable 'today', via a website of some description.

Last edited:
Testing...

Attachments

• 20160927_134903-800x450.jpg
    20160927_134903-800x450.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20160927_134857-800x450.jpg
    20160927_134857-800x450.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 96
  • 20160927_134851-800x450.jpg
    20160927_134851-800x450.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 20160927_134846-800x450.jpg
    20160927_134846-800x450.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20160927_134841-800x450.jpg
    20160927_134841-800x450.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 95
The S3 Krypton...

Attachments

• 20160928_103248-800x450.jpg
    20160928_103248-800x450.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20160928_103237-800x450.jpg
    20160928_103237-800x450.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 20160928_103232-800x450.jpg
    20160928_103232-800x450.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20160928_103219-800x450.jpg
    20160928_103219-800x450.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20160928_103212-800x450.jpg
    20160928_103212-800x450.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20160928_103206-800x450.jpg
    20160928_103206-800x450.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 75

Encap

Laser Arif:
Until very recently when WL lowered the price to $500 for a 1W 520nm Kyrpton toy quality laser they were charging $1000.
Ripping people off blindly with impunity has been the norm for WL for a very long time and with poor service to boot.
WL prices are way high even at $500 given the diode in quantity, cost much less than $200 and the host about $20. If you are happy with it for $500 then you are that is all that matters as other have said.

Next time have a look look at a JetLasers professional quality lasers with many more features and available options.
A JetLasers PL-E Pro 1W 520nm is $449.00. JetLasers makes far superior products in many ways and higher quality/professional quality hand held lasers + their customer service is the best in the business . See: 520nm green laser pointer, 520nm 1000mW green lasers, 1w green laser diode 520nm JETLASERS

The good side is WL resale value due to all the expensive marketing hype has made a recognized name and the maker maintaining outrageous/very high prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS