Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why so cheap?

Good question.

300mW of IR is not that much. He might of pulled them from cheap PHR sleds. PHR sleds are <$8 in bulk, and he is getting $3 shipped for these diodes, so he can make a profit on a normally useless diode.

The only way that I could see buying such a low powered IR diode laser would be as a transmitter for communications experiment. Also maybe you could buy a handful(10) since they are cheap for an array to increase your total output to 3000mw which would be very powerful. There isn't an easy way to combine the power optically though as far as I know.

midias

I used one of these in an ebay new wish pointer that I pot modded pointer made a good 100mw of green light.

I used one of these in an ebay new wish pointer that I pot modded pointer made a good 100mw of green light.

How did you mount the 5.6mm can in a 9mm hole??? Also how do you get 300mWs of IR to produce 100mW of green? Or am I missing something?

midias

How did you mount the 5.6mm can in a 9mm hole??? Also how do you get 300mWs of IR to produce 100mW of green? Or am I missing something?

My pointer had a 5.6mm mount. It had a round nut in back and all you had to do was decan the diode and put it in place then screw the back in.

As for 100mw some was probably IR so i would guess ~65mw green ~ 35mw IR

Good question.

300mW of IR is not that much. He might of pulled them from cheap PHR sleds. PHR sleds are <$8 in bulk, and he is getting $3 shipped for these diodes, so he can make a profit on a normally useless diode.

CD reader/writers use 780nm, not 808nm. ;)

What is it, correct TJ day? :na:

If you jumped on this thread earlier, all would be clear.

I doubt the diodes are really 808nm anyway.

We have to jump on you 1st, because if we don't you'll take us down before we even know it's coming..

:na:

Or am I missing something?

100mws of green light?

I suspect there was LOTs of IR included there. That's ok though.

Lasers that emit at two lines at once are special.

You can call it a "multi-line" pointer.

Two in one!

midias

What is it, correct TJ day? :na:

If you jumped on this thread earlier, all would be clear.

I doubt the diodes are really 808nm anyway.

I bought one from that seller and it made green for me so it should be near 808

midias

So, geniuses, how can they sell 300mW 808nm IR diodes for a dollar?
Because they were probably made in china and they bought in bulk most likely due to some defect possible printing or similar. Also because the probably only cost them about $0.10. At least that is my experience when I have had things built in china. They can make entire PCB assemblies for less than I pay in parts.