Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Why does this happen?

Jaetpack1

I was just messing around with my green laser when I discovered that if I pointed it at the pink plastic weight, the laser turned yellow. Here is the link to the video of me doing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvtJWLYF0cI

I quickly shined it at the TV to show that the laser is in fact green. I am just curious as to why this happens.

diachi

Lux Nitida

I like the effect of my 532 lasing through a clear glass of whisky, get a nice gold beam through the liquid. :)

diachi

I like the effect of my 532 lasing through a clear glass of whisky, get a nice gold beam through the liquid. :)

+4 ... mostly just for the Whisky part ;)

There's a whole bunch of liquids that do that well though! :D

Lux Nitida

+4 ... mostly just for the Whisky part ;)

Lol thanks! I don't know why I decided one day to do that probably due to the whisky lol but when I saw the result I thought it was cool. :D

H2Oxide

Some better than others:

This is R6G with 532nm going through it.

(Pic isn't mine, it's TheTeslaWarrior's)

diachi

Some better than others:

This is R6G with 532nm going through it.

(Pic isn't mine, it's TheTeslaWarrior's)

Cool picture, figured it had to be a dye! Makes sense that it's R6G. Would be fun to experiment with a dye laser.

Lux Nitida

I made myself thirsty so I grabbed my 515 and that works nice too! Some Dewar's White Label there. :D

Last edited:

blueasthesky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you guys tried shinning a 532nm onto a white piece of paper with pink highlighter on it? Or is it yellow highlighter?? :undecided:

Anyway, makes the dot look like 561nm :)

-Alex

10fenny

whiskey lasers!! Ha nice! I carefully shine various lasers through my 75 Gal fish tank. I think the mixture of protiens and loose particulate does the super bright beam effect. But I'm one of the few to ask the science of photons questions. Now ask me a car/fish tank question.. well maybe not hehe.
Great answers you guys

EllyEnthusiastic

whiskey lasers!! Ha nice! I carefully shine various lasers through my 75 Gal fish tank. I think the mixture of protiens and loose particulate does the super bright beam effect. But I'm one of the few to ask the science of photons questions. Now ask me a car/fish tank question.. well maybe not hehe.
Great answers you guys

Haha! I feel bad for your fish.

10fenny

Well I had some cool exotic colored axolotls. Then the landlord messed with the pipes... I didnt know and did a water change. In Oregon we usually have the best tap water. well the tank compltley crashed and I lost everything within 12 hours. So now the tank is a "community/ break in fish" tank till I figure a plan.... so laser show. Its tall tank and stay far from any of the fish regardless of size and type. Life is life.

diachi

Well I had some cool exotic colored axolotls. Then the landlord messed with the pipes... I didnt know and did a water change. In Oregon we usually have the best tap water. well the tank compltley crashed and I lost everything within 12 hours. So now the tank is a "community/ break in fish" tank till I figure a plan.... so laser show. Its tall tank and stay far from any of the fish regardless of size and type. Life is life.

That's terrible, poor fish! :(

Fish tanks are fun with lasers though...

Also... Life is Life...

10fenny

How have I never known this awesomeness existed before now? Great intro too!
Yea and poor fish-a-lotls suffering through chemical poisoning before death.. poor guys. Tiny brained fish could use a light show every now and them. ... oh and BTW half the fish are blind cave tetras and have no eyes.

EllyEnthusiastic

That's too bad. Also I now feel worse for your ex-fish.