Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Why does my Aquarius-5 do this?

Amnizu

So, I got my Aquarius-5 today, and it totally fucking rules. I was shining it on everything I could get my hands on to see if it fluoresced anything in a particularly cool way, and it turns out that when I shine it on this yellow-green sticky note paper, it leaves a cool orange trail. So my question is, why?

Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M7xKmOyEj4

I know it's fluorescence, I'm looking for a deeper explanation than that. Why does this seemingly-ordinary piece of paper hold a charge for a few seconds like glow in the dark material?

Switch

It appears that the dyes in the paper are able to store energy aquired from the blue laser , releasing it slowly(er) as photons, similar to GITD stuff.(?) :-/

FireMyLaser

I have seen that too with my blu-ray. It was on a sticky label on a box, not a special one. And another time on a painting at home with a green glow :eek:.

Chicxulub

I've noticed the same thing with mine, and I'll agree... the Aquarius 5 DOES totally fucking rule. Mine modehops bad though when the batteries die. Mine is bright as hell too when it's peaking, it's brighter than a 3mw green I have!

As for the fluorescence, I get consistently good results from bright yellow and green things. My favorite thing that it does is turn "LED trafficlight green" when I shine it on a yellow Army reflector belt, and it gets MUCH brighter than it otherwise is.

Also, on some wood and dark soda, it turns a violetish blue, but on my Mustang's taillights it turns a very vibrant violet. It hasn't done that on any other car.... wierd.

I was playing with it tonight, and I put a dot on some very low clouds. That was tits.

Entity

Yes, I believe it is the dyes. It is probably a similar reason to why highlighter ink fluoresces. By the way Amnizu, any reason for choosing laserglow over DL this time around? Not that laserglow is a bad company. Just wondering. Do you think the aquarius 5 would output more than the Aura BP 5mW?

Chicxulub

Entity said:
Yes, I believe it is the dyes. It is probably a similar reason to why highlighter ink fluoresces. By the way Amnizu, any reason for choosing laserglow over DL this time around? Not that laserglow is a bad company. Just wondering. Do you think the aquarius 5 would output more than the Aura BP 5mW?
They are the same lasers from the same manufacturer, so I don't see why they would be different. I know mine consistantly puts out 3.5-4mW, with a peak of 9mW (which it does quite a bit). LG advertised it as a 5mw model, I don't know if DL would call this one a 5mw model or an 8mw model.

Amnizu

Entity said:
I have nothing against Dragonlasers, but I chose Laserglow because they're in the same country I am, which makes shipping very fast (1 day) and if there are any issues, I can send it back to them for relatively cheap and relatively quickly as opposed to having to mail it back to China.

darklandz

it fluoresces because of the UV type dye- my blue laser leaves a bright ice-white dot on anything GITD or uv/neon background. a 532nm turns bright orange.
it could be that the photonic type effect occurs due to the laser operating in pulsed mode?

Amnizu

abadcaffeinetrip said:
Was that a Post-its brand note? I want buy some to try this next time I'm at Target.
Yes, I believe it is. The taller kind, with lines on them.

I just confirmed, they're Post-It brand.

Amnizu

Curiously_Coherent said:
Kewl effect.

I've got to try that with my RPL and see what happens. :D

Thanks for pointing this out Amnizu!

CC
No problem man, I live to serve.

quadcam said:
I've noticed the same thing with mine, and I'll agree... the Aquarius 5 DOES totally fucking rule. Mine modehops bad though when the batteries die. Mine is bright as hell too when it's peaking, it's brighter than a 3mw green I have!

As for the fluorescence, I get consistently good results from bright yellow and green things. My favorite thing that it does is turn "LED trafficlight green" when I shine it on a yellow Army reflector belt, and it gets MUCH brighter than it otherwise is.

Also, on some wood and dark soda, it turns a violetish blue, but on my Mustang's taillights it turns a very vibrant violet. It hasn't done that on any other car.... wierd.

I was playing with it tonight, and I put a dot on some very low clouds. That was tits.
what would happen if you pointed it at a traffic light? like at night where there were no cars.

Razako

bobobob121 said:
[quote author=quadcam link=1206668657/0#4 date=1206678353]I've noticed the same thing with mine, and I'll agree... the Aquarius 5 DOES totally fucking rule. Mine modehops bad though when the batteries die. Mine is bright as hell too when it's peaking, it's brighter than a 3mw green I have!

what would happen if you pointed it at a traffic light? like at night where there were no cars.[/quote]
Lasers don't seem to do much to traffic lights. A fun thing to do is hit a far off stop sign with a >100mw red. The sign lights up like a red fireball. It doesn't work as well with green because the red absorbs it.

Razako said:
[quote author=bobobob121 link=1206668657/0#13 date=1206735117][quote author=quadcam link=1206668657/0#4 date=1206678353]I've noticed the same thing with mine, and I'll agree... the Aquarius 5 DOES totally fucking rule. Mine modehops bad though when the batteries die. Mine is bright as hell too when it's peaking, it's brighter than a 3mw green I have!

what would happen if you pointed it at a traffic light? like at night where there were no cars.[/quote]
Lasers don't seem to do much to traffic lights. A fun thing to do is hit a far off stop sign with a >100mw red. The sign lights up like a red fireball. It doesn't work as well with green because the red absorbs it.[/quote]

what if you took a green laser and shined on the green light when it isn't lit? does it look like the light green?
and ill have to try out the stop sign thing

Razako

bobobob121 said:
[quote author=Razako link=1206668657/0#14 date=1206735385][quote author=bobobob121 link=1206668657/0#13 date=1206735117][quote author=quadcam link=1206668657/0#4 date=1206678353]I've noticed the same thing with mine, and I'll agree... the Aquarius 5 DOES totally fucking rule. Mine modehops bad though when the batteries die. Mine is bright as hell too when it's peaking, it's brighter than a 3mw green I have!

Lasers don't seem to do much to traffic lights. A fun thing to do is hit a far off stop sign with a >100mw red. The sign lights up like a red fireball. It doesn't work as well with green because the red absorbs it.[/quote]

what if you took a green laser and shined on the green light when it isn't lit? does it look like the light green?
and ill have to try out the stop sign thing
[/quote]
Yes. Green seems to work best on the green street address signs and highway signs.
do not attempt if any cars are in sight