Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why Dave (daguin) is the man.

mfo

Alright, I will try to keep the length of this feedback post to a somewhat reasonable length.

About a month ago, I embarked on a mission to assemble a PHR build inside one of jayrob's pen hosts builds. I used the a Rkcstr driver soldered directly to the pins of the PHR since space was tight. After breaking five PHR's, I was about to give up on the DIY aspect of lasers.

Little did I know, I was over heating the diodes, thus leading to their destruction. Thankfully, Dave chimed in and gave me some soldering tips which eventually helped me successfully solder the pins to the driver. W00t!

So, the hard part was finally behind me, or so I thought. Once I put the Aixiz module back together, I proceeded to build the push button circuitry. Once that was completed I tested everything out before putting it all inside of the host. So far so good...

Once I put it into the host, nothing happened when I pressed the button to light the laser. I was scratching my head saying "wtf?" I took everything out to make sure I didn't somehow fry my diode, and sure enough it still worked. So I began to think that somehow I created a short when I placed everything inside of the host. I checked the circuit board & even the battery contact spring inside of the host to make sure none of it was touching the barrel. No shorts involved.

I once again turned to Dave for help. He said that if I wanted I could send it to his place where he would take a look at it for me. At first I didn't want to take him up on the offer due to the fact that I really wanted this to be 100% done by me. After a day or two more of tinkering with the host trying to figure out what could be wrong with it, I gave up and took Dave up on his offer. I sent it to him to look at it.

Two days after I mailed it, he received it and instantly got to work on it. He sent me a PM later on that day and informed me that it was a fitting issue and that the module wasn't making good contact with the host. I was dumbfounded as I thought it was making a good connection due to the snugness of the fit. Dave even took the time to measure the output with his LPM (85mW @ 110mA)

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Dave has been nothing but helpful on this forum to me and everyone else that needs it. I appreciate what he's done for me, as he saved me from giving up on DIY. Thanks Dave, I owe you one. You are definitely the Chuck Norris of lasers!

Jaseth

Congratulations on your build mfo!
Dave is really amazingly helpful to so many members here. It's always nice to hear about success stories and a good community spirit :)
I hope you beat the floaters!

Seb

mfo

Congratulations on your build mfo!
Dave is really amazingly helpful to so many members here. It's always nice to hear about success stories and a good community spirit :)
I hope you beat the floaters!

Seb

Thanks Seb, although I think there's a slim chance on the floaters issue. The only way to get rid of them is naturally in time (they've been here a long time so I don't think they are going anywhere) or with surgery. Surgery is risky so that's a no go unless my vision is in jeopardy, and it's not ATM.

Everytime I turn on my HeNe and/or 635nm I think of how cool Daguin is.
He has helped soooo many people here on LPF. It's good he is back from his hiatus.

mfo

Everytime I turn on my HeNe and/or 635nm I think of how cool Daguin is.
He has helped soooo many people here on LPF. It's good he is back from his hiatus.

Yup. I wonder how many lasers he actually owns....

I gotta buy an Argon off of him. One day...maybe after the new year! :D

Dave has rocks in his head. Pretty rocks which light up under UV light -- but rocks none the less!
I still enjoy the rocks he sent me long ago.
Super asset here.

HMike

jayrob

Dave has rocks in his head. Pretty rocks which light up under UV light -- but rocks none the less!
I still enjoy the rocks he sent me long ago.
Super asset here.

HMike

Dave sent me some cool rocks too! :)

Very generous guy. Very knowledgeable, always helpful... :beer:

well dave is also a the man who assisted me in my inquiries on him tru email. Yeah he gave me a lot of ideas i even kept all his response on my email.

I totally agree! Dave so rocks! I sure wish there were many more like him around. Thanks all of you above for posting! And the many more who rep pointed daguin! -Glenn

I totally agree! Dave so rocks! I sure wish there were many more like him around. Thanks all of you above for posting! And the many more who rep pointed daguin! -Glenn

Yes, Dave is awesome, but so are you Glenn. You've both been very helpful, and constantly put up with my crap :)

OK...OK...I need a tissue now.
LOL he sent me a Campo De Cielo meteorite!!! How frickn cool is that?!?!?!
pepper.gif

I sleep with it under my pillow! :tired:

Thanks for everything Dave. You make LPF a better place.

Dave has also been a big help to me with questions I've had. He's also been VERY GENEROUS with me. I also asked for a CAMPO DEL CIELO METEOTITE & not only did he send me one, he include a SIKHOTE ALIN METEORITE ALSO !!!!!! So, as many before have said, DAVE IS DA MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rob