Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why are specific laser color/wavelength easier?

i know 532nm is an IR laser doubled and Diode lasers emit that one specific wavelength, but why are there only a few colors of lasers and laser diodes?
Technically speaking why is red so easy but yellow so hard?
why can blue be a monster power but for others its much harder/more expensive ?

people always ask me this and im not sure what to tell them.

im just like well my blue is 10X stronger than a green because ... ummm yea

so what is the science behind the reason we got red green blue and violet as our common lasers?

Thanks

Projectors drive alot of it. Green diodes exist because projector companies wanted a more stable green than DPSS could provide. They're also why blues got into the 1W+ range.

Mass production seems to have a lot to do with it as well. You don't see projector companies begging for yellow too often. Also, green diodes have more components than red and are harder to build.

Demand is one part of it, science is the other. Humans aren't anywhere near the point yet where anything technologically speaking is possible for us to do, which is why yellow is still a flaky power hungry weak thing..

This really doesn't make much sense.

Sorry, I'll rephrase it. I said that mass production has a part in the prices of certain goods. Lasers are used in many different areas. For example, RGB projector companies buy a lot of red, green and blue lasers. They don't buy things like yellow lasers, thus yellow lasers end up being things that hobbyists buy and not very many big companies (besides distributors). I was using yellow lasers as an example. I know that yellow lasers tend to be more expensive for other reasons as well. How many lasers are mass produced (thus lowering prices) is one factor. Sorry if I worded my other post kind of strange, and please correct me if my facts are mixed up.