Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why a waterproof laser?

Why would you need a waterproof laser? Really, I'm serious.

I'm sure there's a need, but is this a marketing tool or really a needed thing? I don't mean water resistant, which I associate with surviving a water splash as opposed to immersion in water. How often would someone need to use a laser underwater?

Educate me, I'm new at this.

(search wasn't helpful)

For the same reason you buy waterproof matches.

It's not that intend to light a fire under the water, it's that you want it to function when you need it to even if you happened to get it wet or had an accidental fall into a puddle, lake, etc...

That is the main reason most people want a waterproof laser. Notice that if you also plan on doing anything with it in the rain it is certainly a good idea to have a waterproof laser even if not actually required.

Ok. So it's more of a survivability thing than a functional thing. So no one really buys a waterproof laser to use it underwater, they buy it for an accidental water contact event.

thanks.

IsaacT

Divers use them underwater: for pointing out fellow divers to sharks and blinding things.....or was it pointing out things to people and blinding sharks? O, well :p

Blord

It is functional. Astronomy and hunting ( gun mounts ) are both outdoor events. You want the equipments at least weather resistance.