Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

White Laser Diffusion

I was thinking of building an RGV Laser in order to create a white beam, and I wanted to know if there is a way to diffuse the beam without separating the white beam back into R, G, & V? I have a laser star projection light which uses a single green laser which is sent through a thin holographic sheet in order to create thousands of smaller dots all around. Obviously, stars are not green, and I would love to be able to change the laser in that light to a white one.

It is called a diffraction grating.

Diffraction will separate the beam into it's constituent wavelengths. It's not something you can avoid.

Alternatively, you can turn it into a projector, which is capable, I'm sure, of producing the effect you are looking to create.

~edit~ I'm too slow
Your Holographic would be a diffraction grating.
Diffraction gratings would always split it back into R, G, & V.
Perhaps some other means of splitting the beam.

by projector what do you mean? Is there a way to diffract a combined RGV laser? If there ever is a single white laser diode made, would it also be split into red, green and blue/violet?

There will never be a 'white' laser made per se. White is created by combining multiple frequencies. There isn't a singular 'white' wavelength. So therefor, prisms, optics, and diffraction gratings will always separate white into it's component wavelengths.

What you want to do can't be done with simple optics. That's the nature of light. Different wavelengths will 'bend' at different rates going through the same optics. That's why they get separated.

The only way I could think of doing it correctly.....
getImg.php

Lasershow Parts - SCANECO20 Economy 20Kpps Galvonometer Kit + "Lasershow Player Board"

just defocus the white beam through a regular lens. that'll produce some separation at the edges but not a lot depending on the spread.

i think you are over complicating it. with a set of galvos. he could use a raster system just 2 fast spinning motors and then have a ttl based driver ran by a 555 timmer.
it will be cheap and able to produce a ton of dots.
this might sound like giberish but its actualy simple.
2 octagonal mirrors are spinning and you shine the laser at them this will make a square pattern and then you just blink the laser driver on and off with the 555 chip and you will have a star feild.
this can all be done for under 50$
or try to find a "gobo" in the pattern you like.
this is right, right?

i am open for any and all suggestions. however, how would a gobo produce the effect Im looking for being that the laser beam is so concentrated? gobos are more for like an led, halogen or msd bulb, etc.

This is the unit I currently have:

BlissLights - BL 15

I want to be able to recreate that type of effect that this produces but with a white starfield.

well now that i think of it no a gobo will split the colors too....

oic0

Why not just use 405nm against a surface with a touch of florescence.

sooo..... how do I achieve the effect I am looking for? I need to be able to project a white starfield on any ceiling anywhere without setting anything up other than the star projection system.