Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

White disc player

What would happen if you had a disc player that used white light?How much would it be able to store.also if a white is red,green and blue that wouldn't be corent so it wouldn't be a laser?

diachi

Your right it wouldn't be a laser, it would simply be intense white light, You may be able to store a great deal of information, because you could have a separate disc layer for each wavelength allowing you to store atleast three different sets of information. I'm not sure though, UV discs would stil maybe be better.

Diachi

I don't think you can have an optical disc that's read by incoherent light... the whole thing with lasers is you know exactly where the reflection is going since all the light is going in even parallel lines, so you read the data based on the interference patterns in the reflection.. incoherent light scatters unpredictably and couldn't be used for reading microscopic pits in the surface of a disc.

diachi

Well it could be three lasers combined into an incoherent beam, so the final beam technically isnt a laser, because its 3 or more wavelengths, ig you get my point.

Diachi

diachi

Thats what I was talking about further up, white light would still work, if the beams were split first before going onto the disk.

Diachi

Oh...this gave me the idea for the next LPF Project.

it SHOULD be possible to combine blu-ray & red & another wavelength....IR maybe? to create a three-layer disc that can hold up to A LOT....OVER 9000......just a lot of data!

diachi

Yeah, thats what I was saying, but anyway, you need the special disks first.

Diachi

diachi

Yeah, would be great, though I think we should master UV disks first :p

We already do multiple layers.  You just focus the layer at a different depth in the disk, and you can get multiple layers on of the same disk with the same color of light.  Already done.

jamilm9 said:
so my avatar isn't a laser :eek:

Wrong :) your avatar IS a laser. Look it up - wherever you got the picture for your avatar has info on that particular laser, I am sure...

Krypton lasers are white light lasers - and they are coherent.

Check out some info found on this very forum to exercise (or is that EXORCISE ?? LOL !!!) some neurons :)

Diachi said:
Well it could be three lasers combined into an incoherent beam, so the final beam technically isnt a laser, because its 3 or more wavelengths, ig you get my point.

Diachi

So argons aren't lasers? Hehe... White light CAN be a coherent beam. It has to come from a argon/krypton laser, which lases on wavelengths all throughout the visible spectrum, producing a beam of white laser light. Just like how an argon produces a coherent beam, even though it's made up of 6 different wavelengths.

SenKat_Stonetek said:
[quote author=jamilm9 link=1215358200/0#3 date=1215365178]so my avatar isn't a laser :eek:

Wrong :)  your avatar IS a laser.  Look it up - wherever you got the picture for your avatar has info on that particular laser, I am sure...

Krypton lasers are white light lasers - and they are coherent.

Check out some info found on this very forum to exercise (or is that EXORCISE ?? LOL !!!)  some neurons :)[/quote]

You beat me to it  ;D

I guess I should read the last page before posting  :D

EDIT: And as far as the original question goes, Its hard to say. I doubt it would be able to focus down smaller than 405nm, so it probably wouldn't be able to store much. The shorter the wavelength of the light, the more the beam can be focused down to a very very fine point. The smaller the point, the more data on the disk. Think about a gamma ray burner, .000001nm ;D

Switch

pullbangdead said:
We already do multiple layers.  You just focus the layer at a different depth in the disk, and you can get multiple layers on of the same disk with the same color of light.  Already done.

Yea guys, you're getting it all wrong.HVD isn't about multiple layers, it's about dividing the data (that is stored as a whole on a single layer on current discs) into 2 separate categories, one being read with the red laser and one with the green laser, and somehow it makes it more efficient and thus the huge storage capacity.