Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WHITE Diode-Pumped-Fiber Laser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dream light source, indeed!!! I wonder who will be the first to incorporate this technology in a pointer or module laser.

(Bold highlights mine.)

http://www.sumita-opt.co.jp/en/news.htm

"World First Dream Light Source

-Succeeded in white laser oscillation with a single fluoride glass fiber-

First time in the world, Sumita Optical Glass, Inc. (Address: 4-7-25 Harigaya, Urawa-ku, Saitama, 330-8565 Japan, President: Mr. Masatoshi Sumita, Phone No. 81-48-832-3165) has succeeded in continuous white laser oscillation with a newly developed single fluoride glass fiber by combining the three primary colors, namely 522nm green, 635nm red lasers, oscillated simultaneously by guiding 440nm blue diode laser into a single fluoride glass fiber, and a part of 440nm blue diode laser out put.

To date, white laser has been created by combining the three primary colors generated separately by guiding IR laser into nonlinear crystal like YAG laser, ti-sapphire laser and etc., or gas laser, however those methods suffer problems like conversion inefficiency which enlarges energy consumption, needs large size laser oscillator and extremely high cost.

Since white laser of this new development is configured with a single fluoride glass fiber and 440nm blue LD only, it is an outstanding product in terms of conversion efficiency, energy consumption, a compact size laser oscillator, cost performance and etc.

This uniquely developed fluoride glass fiber used for white laser oscillation is a practicable one. It is made of a series of aluminum fluoride glass doped with praseodymium, which emits green and red fluorescence by absorbing blue diode laser. The distance between resonators at both ends of the fluoride glass fiber is 25cm in this time.

Some fluoride glass fibers for researches are available in the market, but almost all of them are made of a series of zircon-fluoride glasses, which are unendurable to practical use.

As the wavelength of green laser obtained with this white laser is of 522nm which is that of pure green, by using this white laser as a light source of display, such a display would have closer colors to natural colors than those of traditional CRT display, plasma display, projectors with ultrahigh pressure mercury lamp, LCD and etc., it becomes possible to create a display with high-luminance, low-power-consumption, compact and low cost performance.
In anticipation of new appliances development, making use of this new development of white laser in the future, Sumita Optical Glass, Inc. is committed to pursuit improvement of the performance of this fiber in terms of out put and conversion efficiency as well as development of souped-up blue LD to be guided into the fluoride glass fiber."

Reference PDF here: http://www.sumita-opt.co.jp/en/other/whitelaser.pdf

WOOHOO! ;D

S

SenKat

WOW ! Quite impressive - although at 25cm - that would make the Herc look small in comparison, by the time you added batts, and coliminating optics ! ;D That is an impressive discovery, though - fantastic applications could be on the horizon here, if the sizr issue improves, white laser pointers could very well be seen in a few years ! I can almost see it now - right next to the green, red, soon to be blue, and maybe even yellow - all reaching towards the sky at the same time in a fantastic picture....Hmmmmmm I am drooling at the prospect ! GREAT find !

The active medium, a glass fiber, can be wound around a spool to "shorten" it. It does not have to remain straight. ;)

L

laser

would it be white or would it be the color of a flashlight or something? (kindof white anyway, but not exactly)

anyways, thats really cool. i hope they make it into pen form...lol. that would be sweet!
url]

T

timelord

I'd like to know if a good high powered white will burn.

S

SenKat

Oh yeah - high powered will burn...that would REALLY loop out some of the flashlight fans....bring them over to the world of lasers ! Muahahahahaha ! :cool:

L

laser

is that a good thing....?

we might start getting more lasers that are huge, waterproof, and everything, juse like the spyder...that thing is massive for a laser!

laserk said:
is that a good thing....?

we might start getting more lasers that are huge, waterproof, and everything, juse like the spyder...that thing is massive for a laser!

Massive for a laser? :eek: Sounds like someone needs to be shown a herc, or a "real" laser like an argon or HeNe. It takes me 2 round trips up and down the stairs to set up my 488nm 5-15mW in the garage.

I would say its the pen lasers that are tiny - not the Spyders that are huge. I guess if you compare them to a bare laser diode chip though... Even a keychain pointer looks mammoth.

I just found some new wallpaper for my desktop. The dream is a reality! I hope I live long enough for something like this to hit the market at a reasonable cost! This is a different type of fiber laser than the one I linked to earlier, but I thought you all might like to see it (and slobber along with me). ;)

Attachments

• white_light_laser.jpg
    white_light_laser.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 2,937
T

timelord

Wow!!!! that's truelly a very beautiful site the way that the white light is split into its spectrum of colours :p i'm dribbling now :D

i dont understand when things flourece arent they sending light out like an led? random photons on random directions? or have i just read the article wrong.

S

SenKat

Not ENTIRELY correct - to Flouresce just means to give off light.....not necc. like an LED - I haven't read the article, but if it DOES say that....then it is wrong !  :cool:

Or maybe they meant "Lase" instead.....

Here's another company that makes essentially the same thing - this one uses a doped fiber pumped by a femtosecond IR YAG laser. Most of it's 6 watts of power is in the IR, though. :eek: That oughta make all you burner-beam lovers happy!

http://www.fianium.com/products/optical.htm

Thanks to Roadrunner over at LC for pulling this pic from the Flash on the site. The fiber output feed is a nice touch, eh? :cool:

Drool factor::p 10 (in my opinion ;D )

Attachments

• sc450_1_165.jpg
    sc450_1_165.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 11,109
S

SenKat

Daaaaayam ! That is sweeet to see ! I think I REALLY need one of those ! :)

Laser Ben over at LC was evidently curious enough to call them up and ask prices (I knew better! ;) ). Are you sitting down?

"$45000 for the 2 watt and $75000 for the 4 watt. They wouldn't tell me how much the 6 watt was."

Anyone else thinking Group Buy? ;D

There is a similar thread over at Photon Lexicon talking about this kind of laser, and one of the posters mentioned the fact that if you do it right, a powerful enough femtosecond pulse, properly focused/shaped, can generate what is called a "light filament" - a linear plasma "white light supercontinuum" laser - in AIR! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.