Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Which would work better for a laser light show spirograph?

I recently bought a green laser module from dealextreme (something I won't be doing again) and it crapped out on me when I tried to turn it on (all I could see was the red glow of the infrared light, (or whatever it is you can see, all I know is it's dangerous) so I turned it off after that and stopped messing with it). So now I need to find a new (preferably green) laser for my 3 motor laser spirograph. I was looking at:

Pocket compact Green laser 50mW [OLPG50] - $28.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products and
Green laser module 50mW For custom build or lab [OLGLM50] - $26.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products
(Are these legit? I heard from someone that they were, but are the power ratings true and are they not too cheaply made?)

So which one would work better? The one I got from dealextreme was very similar to the first one except in power (DX was only 5 mW) but I think it would be advantageous to be able to remove the laser and use it as a pointer when not in the light show. Also, which one would be able to run for longer periods of time, and would it be possible to "burn it out" if left one for too long? Thank you for taking the time to read this long post, any help greatly appreciated! Also open to other suggestions for green lasers altogether.

Grix

O-like is good. Both modules will perform equally well.

Cool, good to hear. Will I need some kid of heatsink for running them for extended periods of time? And would I be able to apply some kind of heatsink to the one that already comes in a host?