Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Which red diode is better?

Well, you read the description...
So, which one?

SLD1239JL-54 from Stonetek

or...

Long Closed Can from 6x Sled

Which one can handle more current and give you more power?
I'm not sure if the LCC is a Phazor diode, because i wasn't around in time for that group buy.

jayrob

I graphed the LCC from the 4X sled (or 6X - same diode) here:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1223438970/500#502

I settled on 395mA's as good place to be. (IMO) This will give you about 225mW's with an AixiZ acrylic. I have one in a Pocket Mini at that current using one of those AR coated acrylic lenses from Virtual Village and it is putting out 247mW! :)

This lens: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Plastic-Collimat...ItemQQimsxZ20090220?IMSfp=TL090220123001r1848

Now if you have a build that uses a smaller capacity battery, like my Key Chain build with a 200mAh 10280, the choice would be the 1239JL-54 diode. Because you would want to keep the current lower with only a 200mAh battery supply. And the Sony/Senkat diodes will give you more power at the lower currents! ;)

I'm gettng over 200mW's at only 275mA's using the 1239JL-54 diode and the above mentioned lens!:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1230765788/128#135
Jay

jayrob said:
I graphed the LCC from the 4X sled (or 6X - same diode) here:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1223438970/500#502

I settled on 395mA's as good place to be. (IMO) This will give you about 225mW's with an AixiZ acrylic. I have one in a Pocket Mini at that current using one of those AR coated acrylic lenses from Virtual Village and it is putting out 247mW! :)

Now if you have a build that uses a smaller capacity battery, like my Key Chain build with a 200mAh 10280, the choice would be the 1239JL-54 diode. Because you would want to keep the current lower with only a 200mAh battery supply. And the Sony/Senkat diodes will give you more power at the lower currents! ;)
Jay
Awesome :D
So it is very similar to a LOC, right?

jayrob

So far the closest comparison to an open can... (it's different than the 'Phazor' diodes that DDL got though) It's a nice tough diode. A nice bonus from a 6X sled! :)

Some may be pushing them higher. But I like them at 395mA's. (heatsinked)
Jay

Quick related question: pin-out for the long closed, is it the same as the long open can? And I read in that linked thread that the 6x blu-ray is the same pit-out as the PHR, true as well?

That thread thoroughly confused me back when it was alive, with the 6x-that-turned-out-to-be-4x, then the many starts and stops or whatever happened; just making sure of the pin-outs for the 2 diodes from the 6x sled.

Thanks, and thanks for the link to that chart for the LCC.

jayrob

Your welcome! :)

Yes, the pin connection on the long closed can red is the same as an open can red.

And the blu-ray diodes found in the 4X and 6X sleds have the same pin connection as the PHR's...
Jay

jayrob said:
Your welcome! :)

Yes, the pin connection on the long closed can red is the same as an open can red.

And the blu-ray diodes found in the 4X and 6X sleds have the same pin connection as the PHR's...
Jay

So with the SLD1239JL-54 I know it is a popular red diode and able to run at the stated mA but at the "threshold" or
high end which one barring current figures would.........

a) live longer on a say 400mA basis
b) if both were heatsinked and fed say 400 mA wich one would survive the longest.

in my opinion I think the LCC is pretty damn hardy running one of mine at 425mA and the cycle time for handheld heat test is
about 2.5 min after that I shut it down ::) I would love to tell the mW but that as you know would require a device that I don't poss.

YET.

Off topic but Jay in all your post, I appreciate as all ol' schooler's post what are you using to measure mW. Thanks in advanced

jayrob

For that kind of current you will want to go with an open can or the LCC. The 1239JL-54 diodes are excellent up to about 300mA's. (IMO)

For power readings, I have a Coherent PM5200 meter with a PM3 thermal head. It is an excellent meter with digital read out. I know it is dead on accurate because of some comparison lasers that got sent around to a few members who recorded their readings using the same 'test lasers' in this spread sheet:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pW49OuYfRMm7FXsb9trxWdQ&hl=en

If you are interested in a good meter, I may have a line on a good thermal meter with a coherent sensor for maybe $250...
Jay

jayrob said:
For that kind of current you will want to go with an open can or the LCC. The 1239JL-54 diodes are excellent up to about 300mA's. (IMO)

For power readings, I have a Coherent PM5200 meter with a PM3 thermal head. It is an excellent meter with digital read out. I know it is dead on accurate because of some comparison lasers that got sent around to a few members who recorded their readings using the same 'test lasers' in this spread sheet:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pW49OuYfRMm7FXsb9trxWdQ&hl=en

If you are interested in a good meter, I may have a line on a good thermal meter with a coherent sensor for maybe $250...
Jay
PM me the details. :)

That's backwards sorry I meant the LCC. with the 400mA. Now I now why your so dilligent on the labeling. Hey I'm catching on

more money saved. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I bought the 6x for the 405 diode. So I looked at the red one as a bonus. I wanted to stop at 380mA but could not end up with the right resistors for a LM317 (DDL driver). I ended up at 2.9 ohms, on top of the Radio Shack 25 ohm rheostat. 431 mA and I've run it 15 minutes full power a few times. I'm surprised that it does not get very hot in only a Axiz module. I built it last weekend and it now has maybe 3 hours on it with half being at full power.
It cuts tape but not as well as the 6x BR at 175 mA. And the LCC punches receipt paper in a few seconds.(( the only matches I have are red..forgot to try a sharpie pen :-/:-X
The 431mA is on a calculator, I did not put a series resistor in to look at the real current. I have a LPC 815 sled here but have not got around to building the LOC yet. I like the LCC so much theres no real hurry.

--John