Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Which one to get?! (O-like)

I've been reading a lot of reviews regarding two lasers that I wish to get:

Tactical 1.2W blue 445nm
http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=104
OR
400mW blu-ray 405nm
http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=100

And just the fact that they are Blue is the sexiest thing on the planet (Pardon my language)
I hear 405nm is the best Wavelength for burning things in General, which is what I need.
Yet it appears 445 is the best (looking) wavelength for visibility, which is also what I need.

I know they both burn and both seem pretty bright, but I'm still not sure which one to get! Would anyone be able to help/elaborate on wavelengths, or burning strengths?

445 is more visible then 405 , 445 is really pure blue, as 405 is not really bright and more purple.
I'd go for 445 not 405 but 405 contains a lot of UV light so a lot of fun stuff is added as a surprise.

About burning , the 405 is about 400mW and it burns as good as the 445 because the wave length is shorter and the laser warms up slower so you have more time to keep it on.

Last edited:
About burning , the 405 is about 400mW and it burns as good as the 445 because the wave length is shorter and the laser warms up slower so you have more time to keep it on.

Not true.

400mW of 405nm would burn around equally as well as maybe 600mW of 445nm .

They are both very short wavelenghts and carry a lot of punch per photon.

Also, it's not true it warms up slower. 12x diode at aproximately 350mA, which is what that laser is, would release a lot of heat. Around 1.3 W of it, if I'm not mistaken. That's without driver's heat.
It may seem lower than blue laser's 3W or so, but take note that host is just about 3x smaller, along with it's heatsinking capability, compared to 1.2W one.

The only real advantage of 405nm laser over 445nm one is that 405nm diode's emission is far more regular, elyptical, and can be focused further, which can burn things from much farther distance. You can focus it to a very finy point even at 4 meters and above, where as with 445nm, at 3 meters best you can get is small square, or very long line, due to diode's irregular emission.

Sorry that i gave wrong information but that is due 1 person told me that his ~100mW 405 laser can burn white paper and mine does burn white paper aswel, therefor i thought a 405 burns better then 44nm.

But hey this is a forum and a forum is to discuss a topic :) and to stay on topic as good as possible we can learn a lot in just a few posts :)

Last edited:
PHRs I made also burn white paper, but that's simply because of that minor wavelenght difference where paper becomes a little darker in 405nm spectrum.

1W of 445nm also burns white paper when focused well and held in one spot for some time.

Anyhow, the answer would all depend on how much experience would Vicious have with lasers before.

If you're looking into getting your first laser, it may not be wise to go that high in power level.

Yet it appears 445 is the best (looking) wavelength for visibility, which is also what I need.

Green (532nm) is the best (looking) wavelength for visibility, actually.

Regardless, I also recommend the 445nm.

Did you consider the 1W Spartan? It's a great laser.

Regarding the 1.2W O-like, it's a beast :)

Host is ridiculously heavy, and I suspect it can easily dissipate heat for at least 2 minutes run time, probably a lot more, I just haven't run it past two minutes.

Without an LPM though (ordering one soon) I can't speak to the accuracy of the 1.2W claim. There is another review on the boards for it, and unfortunately the laser is more like 1W not the 1.2W promised. (Technically they say >1.1W and that's without the waterproof lens.)

The beam is very visible at night, and the laser burns through a double sided dvd case in about 4-5 seconds when focused. It lit an envelope which was 3 feet away after that :)

Showing it to friends from a balcony, it does produce a "holy $hit" effect.

Can't speak to the 405nm, but for the 445nm, even if it's not 100% up to spec, I'm very happy with it.

Just fyi, the 445nm is way too dangerous for indoor use without goggles. 1 reflection and you can kiss your eyes good bye. If you get it, order some goggles.

For indoor use, IMO anything over 50mw is dangerous, even dot is too bright at close distance, and reflections are very dangerous.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

It seems like "we" are still not sure which NM burns the best in general. Of course, I know that it depends on the material and color of material. Green laser burns better on red paper, Etc. I put down an order for the 405nm 500mw laser. Then, doing some thinking, 4 days later, I email'ed Susie and asked to cancel the order of the 500 and upgrade me to the 1.2w 445nm laser. I told myself I'm making a "Choice that's good for the long run".

Yeah I took a look at Dragon lasers, and rayfoss, laserglow, optotronics, NOVA. O-like seems to have the best prices. Also found out that "Non-america" class 4 lasers are not equipped with a key switch and safety lock. I just hope it won't break after 90 days of purchase.

Other than that, I ordered a pair of Goggles fit for 405-445nm (it's red) two weeks ago and already recieved it. Now I gotta wait for the 1.2W laser to come in. -impatient sigh- Soon I can cauterize my projects, and make presentations alot more "elegantly".

------
WTB Signature

Last edited:
Your 445 1.2W laser is a good choice! trust me :) 405 is really a weird color lol.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

It seems like "we" are still not sure which NM burns the best in general. Of course, I know that it depends on the material and color of material. Green laser burns better on red paper, Etc. I put down an order for the 405nm 500mw laser. Then, doing some thinking, 4 days later, I email'ed Susie and asked to cancel the order of the 500 and upgrade me to the 1.2w 445nm laser. I told myself I'm making a "Choice that's good for the long run".

Yeah I took a look at Dragon lasers, and rayfoss, laserglow, optotronics, NOVA. O-like seems to have the best prices. Also found out that "Non-america" class 4 lasers are not equipped with a key switch and safety lock. I just hope it won't break after 90 days of purchase.

Other than that, I ordered a pair of Goggles fit for 405-445nm (it's red) two weeks ago and already recieved it. Now I gotta wait for the 1.2W laser to come in. -impatient sigh- Soon I can cauterize my projects, and make presentations alot more "elegantly".

------
WTB Signature

Do not use that laser for "Presentations". If you mean pointing it at a board in a room full of people doing "Presentations" than Do Not Use That Laser for That. That isn't a Presentation Pointer!

whoops my laser slipped out of my hand during a presentation.
3 people instand blind , insurance??? forget about insurance!

Do not use that laser for "Presentations". If you mean pointing it at a board in a room full of people doing "Presentations" than Do Not Use That Laser for That. That isn't a Presentation Pointer!

^^^SECONDED.

If you were to point this laser at say a LCD or Plasma screen, or even a dry erase board, just the dot would be dangerous. If anyone catches a good reflection in the eye, well, you just blinded someone for life.

Also this laser, if focused, I suspect will easily burn out pixels.

If you intend to use this laser inside, you MUST get safety goggles for each person.

For presentations in small to medium conference rooms, stick to a 5mW greenie.

For large lecture halls or auditoriums, still don't go past 30mW. To be honest 5mW dot is very visible, and you for real presentations you really don't need a beam to be seen.

Again, I just want to be very clear. THIS LASER IS DANGEROUS.

That said... enjoy, I like mine a lot.

... I do have a 1mw Red pointer for indoors! The 1.2w will be for pointing at the stars and rock formations far away, people!

Thanks for your concerns, I guess...

Even outside, be careful with it.

This forum is very safety oriented, and pushy regarding safety because it would only take 1 high profile incident to have even stricter regulations.

Unfortunately lasers don't enjoy second amendment protection:(

Owning a 1.2W laser from a 1mw is equivelant to owning an anti-tank rifle to a Glock. I know to be careful.

Last edited: