Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Which driver 500mw 808nm 5.6mm IR diode

hello people,
i bought a 500mw 808nm 5.6mm IR diode from olike and i want to use it in one of my broken green pens. ive got a few different drivers which one should i use ? A: the 200mw green module from olike driver(was originally 9mm diode) or B: the 50mw green AAA pen from dino direct(was originally 5.6mm diode)?

thanks

honeyx

Are you sure your 200mw O-like uses a 9mm diode? Mine came today and it obviously uses a 5.6mm diode. I also bought a 500mw IR diode from them and it´s and closed can diode, so it won´t fit in both modules either without some modifications. You either will have to remove the can or modifiy the module itself by drilling the hole a bit so the can will pass through it.

Fiddy

use the 200mw green driver, should surely be over the diodes threshold current.

Pin.jpg

Last edited:
A driver from a 200mw o-like module may be too much for a 500mw 808nm diode. Is it 200mw pure 532 (IR filtered) module or 200mw mixed 532/IR?
The 532 output varies a lot with wavelength of the pump & how well aligned it all is. I believe its around 20–30% 808 that is converted to 532 in well configured DPSS module.
That o-like driver could be set for a 1W pump diode.

Last edited:

honeyx

If it comes to the driver. My o-like drive form my 200mW module looks exactly the same like the driver from the dealextreme module. It´s not the driver that will kill the diode but the preset mA´s. However the driver from the o-like 200mw module behaves a bit different than the driver from my dealextreme module. The driver from dealextreme already reaches its full power at 2.7V and runs quite cool up to 3V. The driver from the o-like module reaches it´s full power at 3.4V and runs quite hot. I mean the big resistor, though they are both identical.

Are you sure your 200mw O-like uses a 9mm diode? Mine came today and it obviously uses a 5.6mm diode. I also bought a 500mw IR diode from them and it´s and closed can diode, so it won´t fit in both modules either without some modifications. You either will have to remove the can or modifiy the module itself by drilling the hole a bit so the can will pass through it.

it looks like a 5.6mm diode until you unscrew the end and see it :) , im gonna put it in another module i have that accepts canned 5.6 diodes.