Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where to start

tse dk

First of all... a big hello goes out from Denmark to you guys here. I've been visiting regularily lately so guess now was the time to join :)

I surely dont want to be the new user that asks all the silly questions. Nevertheless I do have some questions I'm having a hard time finding suitable answers for. Here goes..

I'm quite new at the laser game.. only just recently hit by the fascination. Now I'm at the point of starting my own collection - so far it consists of two 532 ebay pointers both advertised at 5mW but one quite a bit stronger than the other.

Now I feel its time to step up the game a bit and I've been looking around every site I could find. I like the Lazerer program alot and it got me thinking. In time I'd like my collection to consist of a handful of lasers in different wavelengths - probably from around 100mW and up cos I like them to be able to "do something" rather than just pointing a dot on the wall.

Its clear that If I want one highpower laser from their program prices suggest it to be one of the higher powered 445's. If I was to pick up just one laser in the 1 to 1.2W area is 445nm a good or bad choice?

I'm also not entirely sure how powerful 405's and 650's need to be to be clearly visible in the dark etc for star pointing. Are the 100mW's okay for this?
I know the 532 is.

So to summarize.. Im thinkin of building a personal collection with a 1-1.2W Blue laser and violet, green and red in the 100mW region. What are your thoughts? okay or does it sound like a bad idea?

Thanks for any of your input on this.

sinner

If you're already sure you want different wavelengths from 100mW upwards then why not.. Be sure to read all the stickies and get a basic idea on how important safety eye-wear is.
A 1W+ laser is insanely bright and you would be a fool if you are using foolishly and without safety goggles.. I hope you're sensible enough to figure it out yourself but just to make sure what happened to people here dont happen to anyone else , something like http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html
Be Safe, Read more, Search more!!

Ehh if you haven't had much 'time' with lasers I don't really recommend the 445nm. They WILL 'hurt' your eyes if your sensitive. I look at the beam for less than .5 of a second and I get the after image for at least a good 10 minutes.

But if your up for it just be aware that 445nm is the 'worst' color (Blue) for your eyes. I would personally go with another color.

tse dk

Protective eyewear is a must, surely.
I just want a single higher powered laser that can do different kinds of burning and cutting and for doing that of course goggles are used. Visibility is a contributing factor too actually I prefer it being very bright and visible but as long 200mW 532's are almost the same price as 1W 445's I reckon I might as well go with the 445.

For the remainding lasers visibility is the number one factor. Im not dishing out on a 532 as one of my 10$ ebay lasers is actually very bright and excellent at pointing stars. I've ordered a 200mW 650nm already which im led to believe is okay- at least i hope its as visible as the much lower powered green.

But how much is needed for 405's if I want one that is visible in the dark?

@sinner: thanks.. now goggles moved from being a must to being a MUST..!! thats nasty stuff

sinner

405 is a very cool wavelength, the color is attractive but it doesnot have a visible beam without smoke or if it is really high powered.. i think ~100mW onwards with smoke is pretty good beam , it is not as visible as the equally powered 532, 660 or 445.. Afaik 532 is the magic number, the eye is super sensitive for this wavelength hence even at 30mW of 532nm it is percieved equally bright as a 200mW 660nm red or a 200mW 405..
When comparing wavelengths to each other, the one that is closer to 532 is always brighter, e.g: 200mW or 638nm will be brighter than 200mW 660nm.. 455nm will be brighter than 445nm.. Here's a good read http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/relative-brightness-explained-biology-72616.html

tse dk

Thanks again sinner. The visibility across colors thing im already aware of.. not the whole biological thing admittedly :)

To be more specific im trying to find out how powerful a violet 405 laser needs to be to achieve that "light-sabery-feel" that greens have in the dark.? coz I really think I'd regret buying one that couldnt "show" in that sence. I'd like to get one thats not only visible in total darkness too :)

ty guys

Stix62

To be more specific im trying to find out how powerful a violet 405 laser needs to be to achieve that "light-sabery-feel" that greens have in the dark.? coz I really think I'd regret buying one that couldnt "show" in that sence. I'd like to get one thats not only visible in total darkness too :)

ty guys

You won't achieve that "light-sabery-feel" with a 405nm unless you're in a smoke filled room, they're just not visible enough.
I'm sat here in a dark room with the only light coming from the t.v and pc screen, with 700mW of 405nm and the beam isn't very bright at all (beautiful colour though)- until I blow smoke at it :D

Last edited:
I think a >1W would be too strong for a first laser. My first was a 120mW 405(violet) . It was homemade, so I get a bit the knowledge about lasers and building them. The beam was quite ok in the dark/at night. But if you want to start with something really visible get a 532nm (green) laser.
They are even at ~50mW really bright. Far better then 405nm or 445nm laser.

Of course you need some safety glasses too. If you blind yourself with your first laser, you won't have fun with others. :beer:

tse dk

I see what you mean. Good answers. I will cancel my ambitions bout getting me a violet light-saber :)

Specially after toying around with that calculator Blord linked to.. thanks for that by the way. I will need a 4.5W 405 to match the beam from a 10mw 532.. lol.

@MrMcChicken: ye, ive got a 532 - reckon its about 10mw but havent had a chance to meassure it. Its beam is fairly visible in the dark and in total blackness its very cool. It was kinda the same effect I was looking for in the 405 but for now it seems easier said than done :)
As stated to begin with I'm rather new to this.. making lasers myself is something I also really would like to get into. But at the moment so many other things clog up my calender hehe.. I will get around to it eventually and until then I can learn more about the different components, how to match them up together and where or how to get my hands on these parts.
By then I hope to get a LaserBee 2.5 usb too..

Thanks for all your good answers.. appreciated