Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where to get heatsink machined?

I am working on my first good quality build. I am planning on making a 2W 445nm build in a large 18650 host. This is the host I am using: TrustFire XML C8-T6 5-Mode CREE LED 1000 Lumen Flashlight.

I plan on CADing the heatsink with Inventor. I don't have access to a CNC lathe (or hand lathe). Where should I go to "cheaply" get the heatsink made to my specs?

Is there somewhere online that I can send my CAD and have them make it for me? I need it to be under $30, or I can't do it. Is that to low of a budget for an aluminum heatsink? I will be press fitting the diode myself.

sinner

Eduaimonium, MrCrouse, JayRob, Flaminpyro to mention a few , if you're looking for some high quality stuff that is!

Last edited:
$30 might be on the low side especially for CNC milling.

Most heatsinks on LPF are done with a manual lathe, so I'm not sure if you can get in touch with someone for your needs.

Last edited:
$30 might be on the low side especially for CNC milling.

Most heatsinks on LPF are done with a manual lathe, so I'm not sure if you can get in touch with someone for your needs.

Well, I don't mind if it's done by hand. I couldn't do it by hand, that's why CNC machining it was the first thing that came to mind. I am a college freshman, and unfortunately we are not allowed to use the machine shop for personal projects.

Is it common for members to make parts for other people? How much will someone charge to machine something?

Thank you very much for the quick replies!

I bet mrcrouse might be able to work things out. But you would need to send him the flashlight you have built it off of. They machine for others constantly.

Well, I don't mind if it's done by hand. I couldn't do it by hand, that's why CNC machining it was the first thing that came to mind. I am a college freshman, and unfortunately we are not allowed to use the machine shop for personal projects.

Is it common for members to make parts for other people? How much will someone charge to machine something?

Thank you very much for the quick replies!

See the link in my signature to my shop. After the already made heatsink collection you have a part about custom work.

Basically the most expensive heatsink from me is $22 unless you need some monstruosity, which common flashlight heatsinks are not.

Thanks sinner for shout out! :)

See the link in my signature to my shop. After the already made heatsink collection you have a part about custom work.

Basically the most expensive heatsink from me is $22 unless you need some monstruosity, which common flashlight heatsinks are not.

Thanks sinner for shout out! :)

I decided to order one of Sinner's hosts instead... I just couldn't resist. I'll definitely keep your shop in mind for future builds. I hope to start building and selling to get some income in college.

Do you do any job? Or just heatsinks and such?

Thanks again to everyone for the names and places.

I decided to order one of Sinner's hosts instead... I just couldn't resist. I'll definitely keep your shop in mind for future builds. I hope to start building and selling to get some income in college.

Do you do any job? Or just heatsinks and such?

Thanks again to everyone for the names and places.

Hey no need to explain yourself or anything - I'm just one of many options presented here, you take whichever suits you best! :)

Regarding the other question, as long as it can be done on a manual lathe I can do it. No milling stuff.