Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where to find perfectly vertical mirrors?

Sta

Hello folks!
This may seem like an unusual request at first glance.
Many of you saw my "homemade laser vs. 53 balloons" video (it did go viral) and I've been wanting to go bigger. Unfortunately, the longest hallway in my home is only 75 feet, which is not enough to fit 100 balloons.
The clear solution is to use mirrors and redirect the beam throughout my house. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to find mirrors that can stand perfectly vertical. The ideal size would be a square 6-12 inches wide.
If you have any ideas, please do reply. :beer:

Last edited:

Hey Sta,

If you've found a mirror or have one in mind I could probably design an adapter and then 3D print it and have it at a perfect 90 degree angle. The print resolution goes down to 60 microns so it would be pretty much perfectly to spec, only thing I would need is the exact dimensions of the mirror you'll be using. Let me know if you'd be interested!

Sta

Hey Sta,

If you've found a mirror or have one in mind I could probably design an adapter and then 3D print it and have it at a perfect 90 degree angle. The print resolution goes down to 60 microns so it would be pretty much perfectly to spec, only thing I would need is the exact dimensions of the mirror you'll be using. Let me know if you'd be interested!

Thanks! I'll wait for other replies and if I don't find something online I'll let you know. :)

Sta

A ladies makeup mirror could easily be adjusted any way you want.

Correct, but they are likely to move when they are hit by flying pieces of balloons. So they are not an option.

sta I do have the first surface mirror from that rear projection tv I would send to you for shipping cost

Last edited:
Correct, but they are likely to move when they are hit by flying pieces of balloons. So they are not an option.

Hm, you may be able to hot glue or epoxy the hinges or bearings to have it stay at 90? Also, if you're gunna go for exact angles you're going to have to find a way to keep the laser parallel with the mirror's foundation, AKA what it's resting on. I'd recommend a tripod for this.

The makeup mirror would probably be your best bet for the cheapest solution, assuming you've got hot glue/epoxy on hand. They go for a couple bucks at the dollar store, can't beat that price. Only other thing is it might have a bit lower reflection than more high quality mirrors, so you'll have to take into account that you could lose some power.

Edit: Vortish that's a really good offer there, a first surface mirror is probably the best you'll get for this type of job. Less absorption, more reflection.

Last edited:

GSS

Their not FS mirrors but how about trying mirror bathroom tiles that probably sized like 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 in. or 12''x 12" I'm guessing they are the same thickness like a regular tile for a little stability.
As far as mounting why not try just using some pieces of wood just grooved the same thickness of these mirrors?

Edit: Diachi I was thinking optic mirrors being expensive I guess even though Sta didn't mention money being an issue and also thinking they were usually small
but now FS mirrors must have to be the best for his plans. Your 2nd link is looking good.

Last edited:

diachi

Surprised no one has suggested something like this yet ... designed exactly for this sort of thing...

Laser Optics Laser Light Show Bounce Mirror 4" x 4" with First Surface Mirror | eBay

Meredith also sells them: 6 Adjustable Laser Light Show Bounce Mirrors Mirror Front Surface Optics Fence | eBay

That's a 6 pack from Meredith - their site has single units for sale for much cheaper (Actually about the same/unit but if you only need one then it's cheaper...): Meredith Instruments - Light Show Bounce Mirror

Just screw the mount into a chunk of wood - hell, some no more nails would work too - and you're good to go.

Alternatively - just glue a first surface mirror onto a a big piece of angle steel (something else with a 90* bend that's nice and sturdy works too) and then use shims to get the bounce angle right. Add on some weight for extra stability where needed.

Last edited:

duct.gif

No need to make things more complicated than they need to be.

Last edited:
the mirror in a rear projector tv is a first surface mirror and Sta my offer stands