Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where to buy and what?

Hi all

I have been reading up on lasers and want to buy one. I am bust building a small one out of an old DVD rom but with my limited knowledge and skill it would be better to just buy one. I know that the 1W lasers are very powerful and probable not a good idea to start with, but i want to buy one laser only and then build more when I can. Please can someone help me with the pro/con's of the following and which would be better.

1000mW Real Blue 450nm Portable Handheld Laser Pointer | TechToys2go.com

I have been in contact with them and the price is not bad as far as I can see.

RIFLE 445nm - 1W Focusable Blue Laser

I see alot of people on the forum speaking highly of lazerer and that is why the rest are from them.

RIFLE650nm - 200mW Focusable Burning Red Laser

RIFLE 638nm - Full 300mW Bright Orangish Red Laser Pointer

The main questions is also price VS capabilities. Any help will be appreciated.

hmm, the first link is a little expensive, and the website isnt known very well, however, lazerer have the same laser for a little cheaper i think, look for stick in the blue sectioin.

as for the other links, lazerer would probably be your best bet, and the rifle is a little expensive host, try looking for the 200mw mini red, it is much cheaper, smaller and better looking in my opinion.

ALSO, remember you will definately need laser goggles for the mw you are going for. 1w is no joke, even looking at the dot on a wall will damage your eyes.

Thanks for the info.

I got one locally yesterday but they cant tell me the mW. It is a green one and I assume close to 100mW as the warning on the laser says <100mW. It has a nice beam at night even with the full moon we had.

So now i am happy and will look at 200-300mW blue or red.

I am thinking 1W is too powerful for what i want :)

hmm, that "100mw" is probably a 20mw. just because the sticker says something doesnt that is the output. unless you have a lpm you cant be sure its a 100mw

I hope what you are saying is true. I cant get an accurate measurement as this is a new hobby. will a 100mW laser beam be visible in daylight?

no. but bear in mind, there isnt much difference than a 100mw and a 5mw green, so it will be really really hard for you to tell if you havnt got a 5mw or something to compare with.

yh, dont buy from local shops, unless you live next to lazerer. but yeah, look on lazerer, olike, rayfoss. all have good up to spec lasers. also, for really good quality check out laserbtb,aka skylasers