Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where can I find a 500mw diode?

fuzz

I know I can only order an assembled laser with a max of 5mw from DX, I picked up a cheap pen and dropped in the DX 200mw diode... its fun, but I want a 500mw or greater laser. Soooo, does anyone know where I can order just the 500mw diode? I am also looking for a nice heat sink that fits the DX diodes, as the 200mw heats up pretty quickly in the pen thing which seems to lead to degrading performance.

I posted this in the "green" area because these are green dpss lasers... I didn't see a section that aids in acquiring parts. Mods, please move this to the right category if necessary.

On another note, is there a good starting guide for gas lasers? I am thinking of building a CO2 laser but all the guides I am finding on the internets seem to be geared towards people that have years of glass blowing experience and a machine shop in their backyard.

Thanks, and keep in mind that I am a beginner, so be gentle.

If you find a 500 mW green diode, let us know. You will be the Easter bunny for sure with info like that. On the CO2, I built a CO2 40 years ago. Trust me, get a tube and PS from ebay.

Also read lots here before you post basic previously answered questions. PLEASE.

HMike

Welcome to LPF. Enjoy your time with us here.

mat.jpg

I have compiled a list of "must read" information, it will make your time with us more productive and pleasant.

Laser Resources (for n00bs and veterans alike!)

http://laserpointerforums.com/f36/looking-build-laser-read-me-47684.html

Sam's Laser FAQ (The Laser Bible)

Sam's Laser FAQ - Preface, Introduction, What is a Laser?, Safety

RP Photonics Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology

Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology - an Open Access Resource of In-Depth Information, Free Articles, Nonlinear and Fiber Optics

I have included a handy guide to assist you in finding what you need. ;)

search.gif

ZRTMWA

I know I can only order an assembled laser with a max of 5mw from DX, I picked up a cheap pen and dropped in the DX 200mw diode... its fun, but I want a 500mw or greater laser. Soooo, does anyone know where I can order just the 500mw diode? I am also looking for a nice heat sink that fits the DX diodes, as the 200mw heats up pretty quickly in the pen thing which seems to lead to degrading performance.

I posted this in the "green" area because these are green dpss lasers... I didn't see a section that aids in acquiring parts. Mods, please move this to the right category if necessary.

On another note, is there a good starting guide for gas lasers? I am thinking of building a CO2 laser but all the guides I am finding on the internets seem to be geared towards people that have years of glass blowing experience and a machine shop in their backyard.

Thanks, and keep in mind that I am a beginner, so be gentle.

When you're talking about green, it's technically a module not a diode (for now...) I hope you are willing to lay down some big bucks for a 500mW module. That DX 200mW was so cheap because its crap, it puts out anywhere from 80-200mW of light and some is invisible infrared (IR) light.

If you are really serious this is the module you want to go with. The price might match that of a handheld greenie that is even higher powered than .5W though:

http://www.cnilaser.com/PDF/PGL-H-532.pdf

fuzz

Ok... a simple "yes, I know of a site that sells one" or a "no, sorry" would have sufficed. This site's search feature is crap, it shows me a lot of irrelevant pages compiled through keywords. Posting a picture of hands pointing to a search bar with "laser build" in the field doesn't really do your point justice. I have read a lot of the "read first" articles on this site, after the first 30 paragraphs everything blends together, maybe the mods should think about condensing all these stickies to one post so people like me will not have 4000-post-members jumping down their throats for asking a simple question. IMO, members posting "use teh friggen search barr", are just as irritating as the new members who don't and end up posting blind one-sentence questions.

Photonoholic, thanks. You're post was the most helpful.

I had a few more questions, but if I am going to get smart ass responses... I can take them elsewhere.

Ok... a simple "yes, I know of a site that sells one" or a "no, sorry" would have sufficed. This site's search feature is crap, it shows me a lot of irrelevant pages compiled through keywords. Posting a picture of hands pointing to a search bar with "laser build" in the field doesn't really do your point justice. I have read a lot of the "read first" articles on this site, after the first 30 paragraphs everything blends together, maybe the mods should think about condensing all these stickies to one post so people like me will not have 4000-post-members jumping down their throats for asking a simple question. IMO, members posting "use teh friggen search barr", are just as irritating as the new members who don't and end up posting blind one-sentence questions.

I had a few more questions, but if I am going to get smart ass responses... I can take them elsewhere.

I do agree what you said about the searching. It does seem to show a lot of irrelevant results.

When you're talking about green, it's technically a module not a diode (for now...) I hope you are willing to lay down some big bucks for a 500mW module. That DX 200mW was so cheap because its crap, it puts out anywhere from 80-200mW of light and some is invisible infrared (IR) light.

If you are really serious this is the module you want to go with. The price might match that of a handheld greenie that is even higher powered than .5W though:

http://www.cnilaser.com/PDF/PGL-H-532.pdf

That link shows 2 modules of different power. Does the size of the cavity make a difference or is it just the larger mass for heatsinking that is the key?

Wow... another whiny "know it all" noob...:whistle:
Has his hand out... and if he doesn't like what you give him...
he spits at you...:tsk:

"He gonna teeech us sumptin"....:bowdown:

Jerry

Last edited:
i know your looking for the diode itself but just so you know, i just purchased a wicked laser and there is a 500mw nLight diode in it "what ever that is"

just thought id let you all know

daguin

Wow... another whiny "know it all" noob...:whistle:
Has his hand out... and if he doesn't like what you give him...
he spits at you...:tsk:

"He gonna teeech us sumptin"....:bowdown:

Jerry

They want a BS in photonics from one reply.

Read and learn my young padawan

Or the whole world is gonna be "mean" to you.

Peace,
dave