Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where can I buy inexpensive axicons?

JustB

Im looking for a 3-5mm axicon for around $20? can anyone give me a point in this direction?

Is it for beam combining? If so, why won't the other methods work?

JustB

Is it for beam combining? If so, why won't the other methods work?

I need to change a beam into a circle. The only other way that I have seen to do it is be using a cheap laser head that has a circle lens in it. How do those work by the way? Do you know anyone that makes them?

Why do you need to change the beam into a circle? The pattern from those heads is rather fuzzy, but it may work for you. Have you considered a simple spinning mirror?

Your question has changed from "where can I find an axicon?" to "how can I make a circle?" and it needs change yet again. We can help you better if you tell us your ultimate objective.

"For example - if you came in here asking 'how do I use a jackhammer' we might ask 'why do you need to use a jackhammer?' If the answer to the latter question is 'to knock my grandmother's head off to let out the evil spirits that gave her cancer', then maybe the problem is actually unrelated to jackhammers"
-glyph

See sig.

Last edited:

JustB

Why do you need to change the beam into a circle? The pattern from those heads is rather fuzzy, but it may work for you. Have you considered a simple spinning mirror?

We can help you better if you tell us your ultimate objective.

"For example - if you came in here asking 'how do I use a jackhammer' we might ask 'why do you need to use a jackhammer?' If the answer to the latter question is 'to knock my grandmother's head off to let out the evil spirits that gave her cancer', then maybe the problem is actually unrelated to jackhammers"
-glyph

See sig.

You seem wise Cyparagon...and a little crazy. My ultimate goal is to create a circular pattern about 3 inches in size at about 3ft and then be able to adjust the patttern size down to a point at the same distance using optics only. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

My ultimate goal is to create a circular pattern about 3 inches in size at about 3ft and then be able to adjust the patttern size down to a point at the same distance using optics only.

Not far enough. Why? Why do you need this pattern?

Axicons can't do that anyway.

JustB

Not far enough. Why? Why do you need this pattern?

Axicons can't do that anyway.

I figured a way of using an meniscus axicon and other optics. However the cost of the axicons prevent me from using them. So, Im looking at maybe a diffraction lens with a ring pattern. I cannot seem to locate one though.

I don't know if it will work for what you want but aixiz has a filter that outputs a round circle (with dot in middle I think)

That or like Cyparagon said "spinning mirror" seem to be the easiest routes if they will work.