Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What's Wrong with My Lens?

I'm worried that I may have created an abberation in the lens of my WickedLasers Core! The lens had become a little dusty, so I followed the instructions and cut the end off a Q-Tip, put a microfiber cloth over it, put a drop of alcohol on it, and gently wiped the lens. I did this several times, and each time, the beam came out differently; sometimes it was worse, sometimes it was better. Eventually, I ended up with it looking like this. It's difficult to capture an accurate laser point, but this picture IS an accurate representation of what the dot looks like in real life, with all those lines splaying out from it. This is NOT the first time I have cleaned the lens, and it has never done this before. Have I scratched the lens? :yabbem: If so--and even if not--should I upgrade to an Anser from Laserglow? Their 25% off sale ends tomorrow, and I know how stable, reliable, and wonderful a Laserglow pointer can be! :drool:

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

USAbro

Laser Glow has always seemed a bit over priced. Have you considered sflasers.com?

I've seen that kind of problem from dirty lenses which were not caused by a scratch, as well as from scratches. Try cleaning it again, perhaps you have or you wouldn't be here. Is it a glass lens or plastic?

Did you try finishing afterwards with a dry microfibre cloth? and is there any chance you started the laser up before letting the alcohol evaporate correctly?
I havent cleaned my lens'Z for a while but last time it took multiple tries before i was happy, I usually used alcohol to clear any crap then cleaned multiple times with dry methods afterwards until i was happy.

Last edited:
It's residue leftover from the alcohol, there's probably too much water in it, or something else other than alcohol in it.

If it's plastic lens, a light deionized water is usually sufficient. Just a tiny drop on the lens, and then a drag of a CLEAN cotton swab or freshly washed microfiber cloth.

For glass, I use 99.9% high purity acetone. (Not stuff from the hardware store) or pure methonol.

Clean with laser optics is a relative term, rarely will you get it perfect. Any contact with the surface makes scratches, so don't be a perfectionist. The more you play with it, the more likely it is to be damaged.

For glass, I use 99.9% high purity acetone.......
Me too ! Acetone and Butanone are my answer to everything!:bowdown:
Sometimes i superglue my focus adapters to my lens so then i use these solvent there to remove lens from adapter.

Last edited:

Pman

High purity acetone..... need to find that somewhere for just in case. Wonder why I haven't heard that before. Weird.

Won't the acetone damage the lens' anti-reflective coating?

I only use 90% isopropyl alcohol to clean all my optics. Always works. It's the technique you use to apply and remove the stuff that matters.

I always use a double sided q-tip, dip one side in alcohol, rub it in, use the other (dry) side to finish the cleaning. Always produces near perfect results.

I've tried cleaning the lens several times now, and it looks different, but more like a scratch now than ever. There is now a single straight line of light that bisects the point. This picture isn't great, but it's good enough, I think. I checked my laser's manual because I remembered pictures of different lens issues, and it looks like the picture of a scratched lens that they include... :banghead: I've looked on Sci Fi Lasers, and their stuff seems... weird, I don't know--just not what I'm looking for. But there is no end to the praise I've heard sung for Laserglow and that their prices, while high, are appropriate for the quality. Their 25% off sale ends tonight, so should I buy a $30 Anser green pointer to replace my damaged Core? That's the real questioin...! :p Oh, and Eudaimonium, I do use 91% Iso Alcohol, so the chemical isn't what's causing the problem.

Attachments

• 001.PNG
    001.PNG
    673.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

USAbro

As long as you don't use a high speed drill press on the lens, it should work out. :D

Okay to answer the OP. Their are special cleaning sticks on amazon that seem to be perfect for cleaning lenses. I bought some. They come in a pack of 40. The reason their better for cleaning lenses is because the tip is small, allowing for more precision.

Also, have you tried examining the lens with a powerful magnifying lens? Such as a numismatic lens for super up close viewing (30x+).:tinfoil:

I've tried cleaning the lens several times now, and it looks different, but more like a scratch now than ever. There is now a single straight line of light that bisects the point. This picture isn't great, but it's good enough, I think. I checked my laser's manual because I remembered pictures of different lens issues, and it looks like the picture of a scratched lens that they include... :banghead: I've looked on Sci Fi Lasers, and their stuff seems... weird, I don't know--just not what I'm looking for. But there is no end to the praise I've heard sung for Laserglow and that their prices, while high, are appropriate for the quality. Their 25% off sale ends tonight, so should I buy a $30 Anser green pointer to replace my damaged Core? That's the real questioin...! :p Oh, and Eudaimonium, I do use 91% Iso Alcohol, so the chemical isn't what's causing the problem.

Yep. Looks like a scratch, or a bit of dust in the way.

Won't the acetone damage the lens' anti-reflective coating?

Depends on the coating. Usually it won't if you do it correctly. Most coatings these days are 'hard coatings' so these are pretty tough. Soft thin film coatings are the ones that dissolve, and they do so under most everything.

Pman

I always used the 90% iso too with no issues but not on plastic.

Last edited:

ped

The moderators received a report about USAbro's advice..

From: xxxxx ( mailto:milxxxx4@yahoo.com ) has reported this post:

Re: What's Wrong with My Lens?
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/what-s-wrong-my-lens-92327.html#post1341181

This is part of this thread:
What's Wrong with My Lens?
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/what-s-wrong-my-lens-92327.html

This is the reason that the user gave:
he should not be posting advice of this sort after the incident with the drill press

Guys, please, if you have a problem with another members advice, then please voice that concern IN THE THREAD , don't report it to a moderator, we have no idea what "the indecent with the drill is" or the history of the thread.

That's NOT what the report button is for.

Ped

Always question weather the problem is
truly a dirty lens. Barrel reflections
look A LOT like a dirty lens. Often it's
better to just live with the dirt than to
try cleaning the lens and ending up worse
that it was to begin with.

Everything except ammonia and distilled/DI
water will fog acrylic. Cheap glass
cleaner followed by a water rinse seems to
work very well. Always proceed from the
most gentle cleaning method to the most
harsh.

First try an air puffer. Repeat if there
is ANY improvement before going to the next
step. If that doesn't work, spray it with
cleaners appropriate to your lens. Dry
with the puffer. Last of all, a cleaner +
gentle agitation with a soft cloth or
Q-Tip. If none of that works, either give
up and accept the results, or replace it.