Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

what's this???

3zuli

hi... I disassembled PHR803 and I found this (on photo) under the colimating lens (or what's it) & it looks like mini LCD display... does anyone know what's this???

Attachments

• P1012706.jpg
    P1012706.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Use the search button....................................................

It is a error/tilt mode compensator array. It IS a LCD with high speed driver electronics. It effectively corrects the error signal from slight warpage or scratched/dirt on the disk allowing a better read.

I found that one of the Toshiba PHR drives with one of these things will rip almost anything you put in it even if pretty banged up.

yeah you too.

and as it was said above its pretty much to assist in reading scratched discs

Yup. Didn't you see my ;) ? Phoenix and I are at least twice the age of 90% of the members here. I was making a little fun, how can you search for something if you don't know what it's called? LOL.

suiraM

Something like that. It's a variable phase retarder. If you know how to use one, it's pretty cool. Regular LCD panels unfortunately lack the driver logic and drive current to make good variable phase retarders, but I figure you can probably overdrive the colon in a stock 00:00 type LCD display, so if you strip off the polarizers, that might get a useful speed at some specific temperature. There are still some things you won't be able to do, like creating a radial or helical beam polarization, but the hack might still be used for Q-switching, cavity dumping, shutter control, modulation, twisted mode, unidirectional ring lasers, interferometry and so forth. Not sure what kind of power density such a panel can take, though. Good bet the one in the PHR is faster and can take more power.