Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Whats the safest current for Blu-ray?

I have seen what current some people are running their Blu-rays at. But I would like to know what is the safest current for longest life. Would it be just when it begins to lase, or is it better to run it a little over the lase threshold? Or is it a specific current? I don't care about power, I just want it to last. I use my red for burning. I have the driver and housing just about done, and the diode should be here next week. Thanks in advance.

I=0 is the safest. It's impossible to burn out with no current.
/smartassery

Around 40 should be safe enough, with deadal's circuit you can use 33ohms to get 38ma which seems to be most used solution around here.

Most people advocate lase point +10ma..... The lasing point varies from LD to LD, when it comes to longevity, I would guess that none of us really know yet.

I use my Blue ray pointer, as a pointer, daily and it is fine after 3 months.

Hope that helps

Regards rog8811

OK thanks for the helpful responses. I have a 33 ohm resistor, and a 100 ohm pot, so I'll try the lase threshold + 10 and the 33 ohm pot should keep it from getting past 38 mA. Now I just need to be patient while the diode ships.....