Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What's THE most reliable green laser under $140?

By "reliable" I mean that it adheres to my conditions:

1.) Bright, visible in daylight under normal conditions

2.) WORKS

3.) Is not a pen style laser (or does not have the problems associated with them)

4.) Has IR filter

5.) Power greater than 50mW

So far I have 2 very nice red & green lasers but nothing bright and green. What's a good choice? I don't want to go into the whole Optotronics/Nova/whatever business unless that's the only way. And by that , I mean low budget!

How bright is 100mW compared to 50mW of green for the same beam specs? And 150mW? Etc?

Razako

Re: What's THE most reliable green laser under $14

Sorry but your limited to pen style lasers with that budget. Unless you want to buy a flashlight style laser from dx...but those don't always have an IR filter.

I don't mind if it's flashlight style. I just want power...

DX is not the place to go if you want absolute reliability, other than that there isn't really much you can get in that budget that's not a pen laser

However I do recommend the DX 35mw green module - it has great IR filtering and mine runs great at 75mW

lazed

abadcaffeinetrip said:
Above your budget, but what about this? http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=50  I believe they have a longer duty cycle than a CNI style - but if someone knows more, please correct me  ;D

Yep, I would also recommend that one. I have the 125mW version and it is awesome. Much sturdier and more well built than the CNI lasers. Yes, the alpha lasers have a 200 on 20 off duty cycle where as the CNI's have a 100 on 10 off duty cycle. Also, the Alpha has better heat dissipation and battery life, due to the fact that it uses AA's instead of AAA's.

Unless you go with DX or KD, you are going to be stuck to pens from Nova. DX and KD aren't very reliable, but they are CHEAP. To be sure you get a good one, buy a few of their bulkier units, you will stay way under your budget and you will have more than one laser to mess around with. I know you would rather hear something different, but you can't get a gauanteed quality 50mW for under $140. If you can spend a little more, try an alpha from Nova.

iewed

You check the Buy, Sell, Trade forum and see if anyone has a laser that they would sell to you, you could just buy the 35mW module like Mario Master said, and just put it in a housing.

I don't mind the origin. I've been spoilt by the ridiculously good value at DX/KD which is why I want more!

I would love 100mW or higher. Are there no DPSS modules I can rip out of some old appliance, anywhere?

In fact, I don't care if it's a lab laser. All I want is something reasonably portable, which won't blow my eyes out with IR and will look something like a lightsaber. ;D

If you want a reliable low powered green unit, id look at laserglow and their super heatsinked 5mw green... I forget what it is called... but it will cost you about $80. I think styropyro has some pot modded greens from laserglow he could sell you that would be pretty reliable.

What is the use of these 'flashlight' type lasers from DX ? Do they have a wider beam (1 inch / 2 inch) ? Are they used a a normal but more efficient flashlight ? Or as they suggest on their site as a non-lethal weapon or deterrent ?
Anyone has a video or pics using such models ?

Amnizu

spyrorocks said:
If you want a reliable low powered green unit, id look at laserglow and their super heatsinked 5mw green... I forget what it is called... but it will cost you about $80. I think styropyro has some pot modded greens from laserglow he could sell you that would be pretty reliable.

The Galileo. It's designed for star pointing and has a 100% duty cycle, I think. It doesn't explicitly say on the product page that it does, but it says that it can be run constantly for up to 2 hours, which is its entire battery life, so I'd assume so.

http://www.laserglow.com/index.php?galileo

spyrorocks said:
I'm pretty sure that's scopeguy that sells those.

Switch

DarthBlue said:
What is the use of these 'flashlight' type lasers from DX ? Do they have a wider beam (1 inch / 2 inch) ? Are they used a a normal but more efficient flashlight ? Or as they suggest on their site as a non-lethal weapon or deterrent ?
Anyone has a video or pics using such models ?

They're just lasers in housings that look like flashlights.They're not ment to be used for illuminating (like flashlights) nor as a weapon.There are some pics of those on the DX site and in the reviews section here.
Above your budget, but what about this? http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=50  I believe they have a longer duty cycle than a CNI style - but if someone knows more, please correct me
Btw, isn't the Novalasers Alpha series still made by CNI? :-/
Anyway, the X-50 will probably give you over 50mW, is good quality(well it's a pen laser, but probably has less problems than some of the bigger models), comes with a warranty from a respectable company that has a reputation for helping customers.
http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=84
At $119 I think it's the laser with the "guaranteedest" reliability you'll find that close to your demands.

Well to be honest, I don't mean "absolutely reliable". I mean something that won't fall apart in 2 days like the higher powered DX green lasers. Ideally, it would be the KD copper body but at 200mW. So what's the closest thing to that for cheap?

To summarise: I want a lightsaber.

Switch

I don't know what to say.I mean, at 200mW and cheap you'd better expect it to fall apart ::) If I were you, and wanted a lightsaber, I'd wait a little more to gather some more money.After all there's no point in rushing things and getting a crap unit quicker when you can have a little patience and get a better one.Good things come to those who wait! ;D

I don't mind waiting at all, but it would feel seriously dirty to buy a £200 laser ($400). And even at that price it's still in the <150mW range.