Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What's the deal with burning?

Folder

Now, this isn't a troll post and shouldn't be interpreted as such. If you don't like what I'm saying, leave. I'm not trying to have a go at anyone here.

Simply put: What's the deal with burning things with lasers? Why would somebody spend $200 on a laser so they can burn things with it? I get if you're buying a laser to check out the beam, do experiments with, review or shine at things in the distance/play with -- they're all unique to lasers. But burning things? Seriously? My lighter destroys a 4W IR diode at burning things. It seems stupid, in my eyes, the obsession with burning.

Edit: And don't say 'it's just a bonus' as people purposely buy lasers that can burn. If they didn't, we wouldn't have lasers over 50mw -- you can see that fine, it can't severely hurt someone and it goes miles. Don't deny that the question everyone asks is 'can it burn' or variants of the question.

Last edited:

Dude just leave. Make it easier on yourself...

They are not going to be happy when they see this... Me ... I'm to tired to even begin. Here's to you surviving this one :beer:

udanis

Now, this isn't a troll post and shouldn't be interpreted as such. If you don't like what I'm saying, leave. I'm not trying to have a go at anyone here.
Simply put: What's the deal with burning things with lasers? Why would somebody spend $200 on a laser so they can burn things with it? I get if you're buying a laser to check out the beam, do experiments with, review or shine at things in the distance/play with -- they're all unique to lasers. But burning things? Seriously? My lighter destroys a 4W IR diode at burning things. It seems stupid, in my eyes, the obsession with burning.
Edit: And don't say 'it's just a bonus' as people purposely buy lasers that can burn. If they didn't, we wouldn't have lasers over 50mw -- you can see that fine, it can't severely hurt someone and it goes miles. Don't deny that the question everyone asks is 'can it burn' or variants of the question.

Why would you even post something like that? You just asking to get eaten alive by the forum members, or to get banned.
boxxy-trolling.jpg

Maybe?

IsaacT

Okay, let me put it in a way I explained it to people at my work place.

A laser is just coherent light. BUT with a laser this light is able to burn things. It is like this. Sure, you may be able to do more damage more quickly with your little Bic, or Zippo, but your Bic is just releasing ignited gas. Our lasers are concentrated light. Also, everyone has seen the movies with the cutting lasers. For years we have dreamt of the power available to us and now here it is.

My closing argument: Laser > Lighter.

BTW, I just worked an overnight shift and I am tired. If I rambled on too long or said something impertinent to the topic cut me some slack ;)

And if you don't want to burn anything just hop your 5mW self over to Photonlexicon....you'll fit in great. (nothing negative towards photonlexicon, burning is just not their priority, and it is obviously not yours either)

Morgan

Because they can...
Because they can...
Yes, seriously. But only... Err... Because they can...

Why do you burn stuff with your lighter? :thinking: Is it because you can?

You should get at least some mileage out of this thread but not much, IMO.

M
:)

Last edited:

Folder

Because they can...
Because they can...
Yes, seriously. But only... Err... Because they can...

Why do you burn stuff with your lighter? :thinking: Is it because you can?

You should get at least some mileage out of this thread but not much, IMO.

M
:)

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure of your logic. Are you saying someone would buy a $200 laser for burning 'because they can'? There's a difference between a $1.50 BIC lighter and a $200 Laser.

Also, wannaburnstuff, you're saying that people do it because of they like the idea they're burning with concentrated light? Just checking we're on the same page here.

IsaacT

Thats one of the reasons that I personally burn using my 50 Dollar Laser....now I do have a 150 Dollar laser on the way soon but that is beside the point. For $50.00 you can get a decent burning laser. And it has rechargeable batteries. Your bic will go out of liquid. So my laser beats your bic after you are forced to buy 20 of them because they have been used up(or lost). Although for me, I would rather spend 20 times the money I could spend on a bic, on a laser. But maybe thats cause I already have my two zippos.....either way. Yes, we are on the same page :)

Rafa

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure of your logic. Are you saying someone would buy a $200 laser for burning 'because they can'? There's a difference between a $1.50 BIC lighter and a $200 Laser.

Also, wannaburnstuff, you're saying that people do it because of they like the idea they're burning with concentrated light? Just checking we're on the same page here.
Because they can buy it, because the can burn things.

With the 200$ laser you can burn thing from several feets away, with your 1.5$ lighter you cant do that from 10cm in vertical direction :)

Btw in my understanding a DIY burning laser costs way less.

Rafa

Yep, waaay les.

For example one LOC: LD+DDL+Aixiz: about $20, no more.

Folder

. Although for me, I would rather spend 20 times the money I could spend on a bic, on a laser.:)

So you're saying it's a better deal to get a laser to burn stuff, in the long run? Again, just checking we're on the same page here.

What part of a brilliant point of light at the end of a beautiful beam that seems to defy all logic scorching a spot on your desk from across the room confuses you?

HIMNL9

There's a difference between a $1.50 BIC lighter and a $200 Laser.

Uhm, the first thing that came in mind to me, with a similar question, is that if you have an object and a $1,50 bic lighter, you can turn it in flames and ashes, where instead if you have the same object and a burning-capable laser (and some artistic skill, ofcourse :p), you can turn it in something better than flames and ashes

attachment.php

And don't need to be a $200 laser, too ;)

But, seriously, i don't see any sense in the question itself ..... i don't build lasers cause they can burn, i build lasers cause it's one of my hobbies ..... if they ALSO can burn, it's just a bonus, not the main reason for which i build them .....

Attachments

• works.jpg
    works.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 432

oic0

Reminds me of one of the characters from Claymore.

As for why burn things with a laser? Why do we do anything? Ultimately nothing has a purpose, life is just about enjoying what your arbitrarily happen to enjoy. Don't question the things others do for enjoyment so long as they aren't hurting you.

Last edited: