Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What wavelength's are available in 5mW?

Hey guys, it's Alex again.

As most of you know I have been trying my best to acquire as many 5mW wavelengths as possible.

I have searched over a couple of threads but couldn't find much answers to my question. My question being:

How many wavelengths are possible that have 5mW as a output power?

I currently own these(yes I know it isn't much :D)

635nm
532nm
473nm

Thank you for all the help,
Alex

Some I know of

589nm
405nm
650nm
594.5nm (I think?)
445nm?
515nm
520nm
I'm sure there are way more.

:beer:
-Matt

Trevor

You'll need to specify the form factor (pen I assume?), because otherwise the answer will be "any wavelength, provided you're willing to pay a lot and/or plug it into the wall."

Trevor

You'll need to specify the form factor (pen I assume?), because otherwise the answer will be "any wavelength, provided you're willing to pay a lot and/or plug it into the wall."

Trevor

Yes Trevor :D

I forgot to add "pens" to the title. So yes guys, pen's only please.

Yes Trevor :D

I forgot to add "pens" to the title. So yes guys, pen's only please.

For the prices you are paying for some of the pens you'd be as well investigating second hand gas lasers surely? Or is it specifically portability you're after?

If you're only ever going to use it in doors it's worth thinking about.

Last edited:

Trevor

In that case...

593.5 is - 594.1 is not; 593.5 is yielded through DPSS while 594.1 is a common HeNe wavelength.

KRNAZNBOY basically covered all the bases, otherwise.

Trevor

For the prices you are paying for some of the pens you'd be as well investigating second hand gas lasers surely? Or is it specifically portability you're after?

If you're only ever going to use it in doors it's worth thinking about.

Thank you for your reply :)

And "portability" is somewhat of a concern to me which is why I chose the pens.

But the other part of me really dosen't like the whole "gas" side of lasers. I don't know why but I like diode/DPSS lasers a lot more.

Thanks,
Alex

All I'd say is, don't knock it till you've tried it - keep your mind open. I don't own any gas lasers (yet) but it's something I'm open to in the future.

I don't know about you, but I pretty much never shine a laser beam outdoors - for risk of drawing unwanted attention. I'll do it once or twice with a new laser, and occasionally in deserted places to show friends, but that's it. Other than that it's all indoors.

Last edited:

Trevor

But the other part of me really dosen't like the whole "gas" side of lasers. I don't know why but I like diode/DPSS lasers a lot more.

I don't know why either. ;)

Ut4Hr2q.jpg

2pBEBGj.jpg

Trevor

Tmack

We've tried to "open his mind" many times in many threads like this. He just won't budge from these super expensive pointers. To each his own. If it really what you want, your on the right track I guess. My suspicion is when greeny turns 18 he will suddenly start to "like" power. ;) "those things are dangerous! If you're under my roof, and you have to have one, get a small one!!" only teasing Alex. :p

Last edited:
445nm is available in 5mW Output power? :thinking:

Isn't it 447nm? :beer:

Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure they're the same diode. Diode wavelengths can vary a little, even if they were manufactured in the same factory in the same line. ±2nm is well within the range of variance for a diode (up to ±10nm or even more I think). Things like temperature, current, even just some "personality" factors into it.

EDIT: Just to clarify what I meant by "personality" some diodes naturally lase a little higher, some a little lower. Not very much higher or lower, but just sometimes noticeable amounts, the same way that buying CPUs is a little like rolling a dice, sometimes one OCs well, sometimes it just really doesn't cope.

Last edited:

Trevor

Isn't it 447nm? :beer:

CNI probably has access to the same diodes we do. More than likely they just spectro'd a sample of them and picked 447nm as a midpoint to advertise the pointers at.

Regardless, your "445" might spectro at 449 and your "447" might spectro at 444. It's the nature of laser diodes; splitting hairs over ratings will not make the variance go away. ;)

EDIT: Beaten. :p

Trevor

Last edited:
We've tried to "open his mind" many times in many threads like this. He just won't budge from these super expensive pointers. To each his own. If it really what you want, your on the right track I guess. My suspicion is when greeny turns 18 he will suddenly start to "like" power. ;) "those things are dangerous! If you're under my roof, and you have to have one, get a small one!!" only teasing Alex. :p

That's why I'm glad I moved out @ 16. Couldn't have coped much longer and my parents weren't even that over bearing. Was a bumpy road at first but all worked out now and everything's dandy.

I'm sure greeny has had powerful lasers before, I've seen some older posts...

Last edited:
I don't know why either. ;)

2pBEBGj.jpg

Trevor

Beautiful pic. Is it yours? I would love to run mine without the case, but I am afraid of it overheating.

Also, some wavelengths you theoretically COULD have, but I am sure you won't, are
476 (pretty realistic if you get one of the 4 direct diodes floating about)
then there is UV of course.

I say you wont have these, because they are direct diodes made by Nichia. I have never seen any place selling them, minus those four 476nm samples styropyro got, and I have seen 488's a few places-the 476's were 500$ (I think?) and the 488's...ungodly expensive. Thousands. Anyway, I am sure someday we will see these diodes pop up here and there, but not for now :)