Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What to expect Ebay Laser

Hi,

My mom recently bought me THIS laser for getting As on my report card. I don't really know much about lasers although I have read most of the safety forums and done a decent amount of research. What can I expect it says it's 5 mw in the description but after doing some research it'll probably be an overspec. Is this a good laser for starters?

Last edited:

It's not a 301 or 301 but it's definitely going to more than 5mw, more like 20-30mw. May or may not be able to pop a balloon. Usually when it comes to eBay greenies and popping lasers, focus is most important which that laser has.

diachi

These sort of lasers are often 30-100mW, they vary wildly but they are often in that range. Reliability varies too, though I've had no issues with similar products personally. Decent cheap laser to start with, although you'll need to be very careful, it's potentially a good chunk above 5mW and thus not eye safe, meaning even a reflection or direct hit could potentially damage your eyes - or someone/something elses.

Maybe stay near the charger when charging those batteries... I don't trust those cheap charger/battery combos to not catch fire. It hasn't happened to me, but better safe than sorry, right?

It'll probably get you hooked on the hobby at least. :p

Welcome to the forum! :)

Oh, and it sounds like you're under 18... Some sellers and some members may not like that, as it's not a good indicator of maturity/sensibility. That said, we have several <18 members here that are more mature than some of our older members... Have fun and stay safe! Remember, never point at/near aircraft!

Last edited:

Razako

Looks like a good starting laser. As Diachi said, it's probably gonna be between 30-100mw. It may, or may not light a match/pop balloons depending on how you focus it. It will probably give you a nice beam to look at outside at night. Just make sure you avoid planes/helicopters/cars/etc.

Awesome! Very excited, I'll make sure to be cautious.
I am under 18 years old but I'll try to be mature as possible. :D

@Razako 100% agreed. Great starting laser indeed. However, the price point is a bit too cheap. I don't see this thing lasting more then a few months (If it actually works in the first place). Hope you got the receipt bud. I would totally return it.dd

Last edited: