Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What to buy...

I am relatively new to the forums, but not so much to lasers in general. I'm almost like that kid on YouTube..just I have a life and make 2 minute videos rather than six minute ones saying, "....ugh, yea...I'm gunna get ready to cut some tape with this laser...ok now I'm......" you get the point.

I am currently looking to buy a good, quality red laser at spec for under $100 with shipping and batteries...kind of cheap but o-like's 250mW red laser is 59.99 after shipping and with batteries to my door. 250mW and up is preferable...one to beat my green laser in burn time. Any and all suggestions are accepted!

Thanks in advance,

~TheUnexpect

Last edited:

How old are you? I am not a creep who like little kids i ask this because but most kids under 16 would be very irresponsible when using such high powered lasers and you need to know that safety glasses are required when buying a high powered and to always be cautious were you point high powered lasers. To answer your question you can buy an o-like 250mw red laser and push it to 300-350mw a little out of you budget but survival lasers is selling some real nice red lasers.

That is a nice laser but it is sold as 200mw and is really overspec if you buy it you might not get as lucky.

How old are you?

16 and a half actually...I am quite responsible and have the proper safety gear and glasses. I have been "toying arround" with lasers since I was about 14.

To answer your question you can buy an o-like 250mw red laser and push it to 300-350mw...

I don't want to pot mod anything, just want to get one that is already at a, as I call it, "diode safe" power.

I am currently looking to buy a good, quality red laser at spec for under $100 with shipping and batteries...kind of cheap but o-like's 250mW red laser is 59.99 after shipping and with batteries to my door. 250mW and up is preferable...one to beat my green laser in burn time. Any and all suggestions are accepted!

The o-like 250mW cutie is a decent laser. Nice little host. Mine metered at a peak of 224mW and was stable around 215-220mW. The only downside is that there is always a chance the laser you get will be 220mW (the minimum they guarantee) and not 250mW+. Obviously given the cost of the laser, shipping it back for exchange or refund makes no sense at all... shipping back to china is ~$35.

Have a look at this 290mW Red 650nm Laser $65

Lase

EDIT: It is on spec and has been metered.

16 and a half actually...I am quite responsible and have the proper safety gear and glasses. I have been "toying arround" with lasers since I was about 14.

I don't want to pot mod anything, just want to get one that is already at a, as I call it, "diode safe" power.

Not sure that that there is such thing as "diode safe"... having the laser always off is safe:p

Generally though if you keep to a duty cycle of two minutes on, two off, with a 650nm laser that has even a little heatsinking you should be fine, and the laser should last a good long time. Personally I try to stick a duty cycle of one minute on, one off.

Without a more expensive lens, around 300mW is about as high as a most reds can be pushed safely.

If you're interested shoot me a PM. I will want to see a picture of your goggles with your lpf name and date though. If you don't have goggles specifically for 650nm, do get a pair.

Even though red light does not appear nearly as bright as green, it is every bit as dangerous.

If you need a recommendation on where to buy goggles, just ask:)

InfinitusEquitas; said:
Not sure that that there is such thing as "diode safe"... having the laser always off is safe:p

What I mean by that is not giving the diode a voltage or amperage that it isnt stable at, basically I am almost 100% against pot modification..it just isn't sane, in my opinion..There is a reason it was set where it was set. :D

Rest assured I have goggles, ordered then from Dragonlasers when I bought my 1W Spartan, Can't wait 'till it gets here and I can review it. I had previous green and blue goggles from when I bought my Viper so I got the red ones in preparation for it.

Bummer that yours was under spec, but as I say..Win some, loose more.......story of my life. :(