Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

what the @%#& is it?

Pulled these from a "aopen" IDE DVD burner.

Just not sure what I can do with them or what the pinout is even.

They both came from one drive.

Anyone seen these before?
:thanks:

IMG_20141121_1606202_zpsswkkz7ke.jpg

IMG_20141121_1602342_zpstvurcsv7.jpg

IMG_20141121_1602022_zpsa8pjrbnq.jpg

Last edited:

They look like square package diodes. While they could be used to make a laser, due to their odd shape you'd likely have trouble making a module to hold them. I also don't think many people (if any) could tell you what their pinout is. You'd likely have to figure that out yourself.

Yeah I don't expect much as to putting it in a host, just odd shape and pins so I thought I would ask if anyone knew anything.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong. They are perfectly good laser diodes! They may even be high powered red diodes but due to their odd shape I think they would not be worth the effort to make into a laser as there aren't any readily available modules to stick these in.

Don't get me wrong. They are perfectly good laser diodes! They may even be high powered red diodes but due to their odd shape I think they would not be worth the effort to make into a laser as there aren't any readily available modules to stick these in.

If they do end up being high-powered and you decide you want to try mounting them, I might be able to help you make a module. I'm thinking it would be possible to laser cut some pieces of thin steel (~0.060") with a cutout of the exact shape and stack them to provide good thermal sinking.

The two rounded edges On the diode could be put into a round hole and then you can use Arctic Silver to fill in some of the gaps. It would be pretty cool if you do find a way to light them up. A host could then be built for them.

Last edited:
The outer 2 pins are + and -. There are
some pinouts somewhere. The glass block on
top is a grating or refractive element and
will probably produce a weird pattern. It
can be carefully removed. They are fun to
play with.

They sure are cool looking with all them pins it could be a nightmare to get them lasing with out a cheat sheet, good luck and keep us informed :tinfoil:

Would be awesome if each pin produced a different color laser, it would be the most wanted diode ever.