Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What should i get?

Hello everyone, I'm new to lasers and everything i live in the US and im thinking of purchasing one. I just stumbled across wicked lasers the otherday and thought they were really neat, im interested in buying 1 and i want one where i can burn stuff, but my budget is no more then $200. Ive seen some good stuff and bad about wicked lasers so i was wondering where should i get it and what kind should i get and what does mW mean?? lol im sry im a newb for sure at this. thx for the help every1

Amnizu

mW means milliwatts, a measure of laser power. The higher the number is, the more powerful the laser is.

nm means nanometers, and its a measure of colour. 532nm is green, 650-670nm is red, 473nm is blue, 593.5nm is yellow/orange, 405nm is blu-ray ultraviolet, so on and so forth.

ok thx after looking on that site im thinkin either the x100 or x75 what do all of you think.. and will these burn peoples skin, and why do lasers only burn black things?

Razako

xuscballx said:
ok thx after looking on that site im thinkin either the x100 or x75 what do all of you think.. and will these burn peoples skin, and why do lasers only burn black things?
Both of those lasers should burn your skin if you hold it close enough to your skin and hold it steady. Lasers burn black stuff easily because black absorbs the most light.

Amnizu

xuscballx said:

Either of them will burn someone. A laser burns black things best because of the same reason a black car gets hot in the sun; it absorbs all of the light energy as heat, and when focused into a tiny little spot like the dot of a laser, that adds up pretty quickly.

sry to bother all of you with this stuff.. just wondering.. do u know about how far away you can see these 2 lasers?

i think over 2km.

in my experience, 1km is ENOUGH as you wont really see more than that with your bare eye (on a city)

Amnizu

xuscballx said:
sry to bother all of you with this stuff.. just wondering.. do u know about how far away you can see these 2 lasers?

Depends on a lot of things; if there's fog, moisture, rain, snow, smoke in the air, if you're facing in the direction the laser is pointing, if the laser is well-collimated, if there is or is not ambient city light, that kind of thing.

Here's a video of a laser beam and dot being seen from over 4 kilometers away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rmpvgJOKF8

dunno why the distance doesnt seem like 4km, looks closer.
the dot on the target also looks small to say its pointed from 4km.
if its real, its got excellent divergence.