Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

what lasers are legal?

I know it probably varies state to state, but does anyone know what the laws are concerning class IIIb lasers (5mw and up)? i live in Kansas and tried to look up and laws but didn't find any. Thanks for you help

Ashton

Look on LC, in the help section, there is a thread with local laser laws for most states in the USA and for several foreign countries.

federal law says that anything over 5mw (no matter what color) must have a 5-second delay, a key-lock, a indicator light, an arpature cover, and a second lock (that involves inserting a second key into the tail-end) Though I may be wrong on that... only a few sellers offer all teh required mechanisms.

wow, thats a pretty intense set-up. I don't think my dx has all that ;) thanks for the info! i really like the fact that you can get fast responses on this site.

Rasel

and it is illegal to sell to anyone under the age of 18. I wonder how many break that law too ;D

Things

lol you guys have better laws than us auzzies!!! we are only allowed a max of 1mw!!!!! i don't know if we can have higher powered with the delays and stuff, i'll have to find that out

Rasel

People in the UK are only allowed a max 1mW as well... not like it matters ;D

T

timelord

That's odd be cause I can think of two companies that sell 100mw greens and over in the UK.. Spymodex and safield I'm sure there's probably a few more that sell them quite legally. I think in the UK it's a bit of a grey area when it comes to high powered lasers as not many people ie kids get hold of them and abuse them....

Ashton

I dont think "illegal" is quite the proper term. As TL said, it's a grey area. I had a long discussion about this on LC one night with RR, who is in the UK. I dont remember exactly how it went, but there is an ordenence you can buy to sell lasers >1mw and likewise to buy them, but that the law isn't heavily enforced, if at all (it's for the average joe; an illusion to make them feel safe.) Atleast that was what we concluded, IIRC. More than likely the same holds true for the Oz law too.

I always thought that the <1mW or <5mW laws were just so they had something else to charge you with if you do something stupid.

Aseras

it depends on the use, any laser can be legal or illegal depnding on how you use it and whether or not you are required to report it.

Just like with anything else that may be illegal, you can get a permit or permission or for some reason do that thing if it's for research or whatever reason you have a good excuse for, and the paperwork to back it up.