Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What kind of divergence should I expect?

Hey, I’m a first time builder of a PHR-803T laser in a Axiz housing (the $5.99 one). I was wondering what kind divergence I should expect to get in milliradians?

And what kind of divergence can you best achieve with this diode?

Thanks!

Well, since the module is focusable, it's kinda hard to say. If you want to have the lowest possible divergence, you have to fine tune the modules's focus. The best way to do this is to point it through a mirror, and then, while looking at the dot, adjust the focus. You can get a pretty small number (if you're steady handed), I would say definitley below 0,5 mRad. :)

PS: welcome to the forum!

LazerGuy said:
Well, since the module is focusable, it's kinda hard to say. If you want to have the lowest possible divergence, you have to fine tune the modules's focus. The best way to do this is to point it through a mirror, and then, while looking at the dot, adjust the focus. You can get a pretty small number (if you're steady handed), I would say definitley below 0,5 mRad. :)

PS: welcome to the forum!

ok cool, i didnt realize it was focusable. <0.5 mRads is good.

and thanks for the welcome

i dont think the divergence of a 405 from an 803t drive will be as good as .5

especially to the human eye. the beam looks VERY big.

Oh, it will definitley be. :-? And the ability of the human eye to focus on it doesn't matter at all. For me, at a distance of about 50 feet, the dot looks to be blurry and some inches wide. But when I walk up close, its diameter is less than half an inch and my 100mw can still sting skin a little bit over there. The divergence is a lot better that it looks to be.
The trick to finding the "infinity focus" with blu is to find a pretty long hall, with a mirror in the other end. Shine it through the mirror, while looking closely at the dot. Then screw back and forth, until you're satisfined with the focus of the laser. It will defintley be <0.5mRad (unless you use crap optics) ;)