Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

what is this?

WP_000224_zpsfb7f2b7d.jpg

WP_000223_zpsa3e6c56c.jpg

WP_000222_zps373043bc.jpg

WP_000221_zps95709bf1.jpg

ped

I'd say a C-mount housing.

The tube of copper with the C-mount screwed to it slides in and is secured by the grub screws.

wow you guys are quick. I don't think it's made of copper though, it's way heavier then copper and really hard, seems like it isn't very tough though. Heavy and hard, not very tough, very cold to the touch (not very conductive?)...what about this?

WP_000225_zpsfe5cbfa5.jpg

WP_000226_zps4232298f.jpg

Last edited:
That second piece is a 2-axis rack-and-pinion movement. It looks possibly DIY, and of good quality.

It was probably used for a stereo microscope head, but other possible uses are limited only by your creativity.

Yard sale finds? OR did you help one of your professors clean out the lab? Either way, you have some nice finds there (especially that 2-axis positioner).

Well my parents are what have come to be called pickers/flippers (I used to do it with them but am more study focused now, in order to become a Jeweler). Basically they buy things from estate auctions, yard sales, storage lockers, thrift store, silent auctions, live auctions etc.

Then they sell it on ebay and at the flea markets...More recently my mother started gluing things she had no use for together. then she started using JB weld, now she is soldering...and she ends up making this robot looking statues. People love them and she sells 4-5 each time she goes to the flea and several online (for around $35.00-$100.00 each depending on size and sales venue).

This led to her having her own workspace at her house where she tinkers. These are from her materials drawers and boxes. She was asking me what they are before she rips them apart for robot components (their not real robots, it's kind of steam-punk to diesel-punk like sculptors really, and some of it looks like something Pixar would make for a character in one of their 3D films).

Her and john (her husband) got a good chunk of it from an estate sale where the woman who had died, had worked for some kind of optics company that went out of business, and her boss basically threw his hands in the air and sent her home with all sorts of stuff).

But, some of the other stuff he brings back from recycling. That is to say he has friends for whom he has always done the actual steps of picking stuff up and taking it to the appropriate places for recyceling. Something he has always been happy to do. It fits with his normal job nicely (regional day courier) and they give him old macs for doing it.

He has two friends that own computer stores, one that works at seagate, one who works at cisco, and another who is retired with a warehouse of stuff (old computers mostly)...actually I built my current thermal-take machine off what he brings back, lol...he lets us sift through the recycling for things we might want before hauling it off.

My mom is thinking of selling some of it to fuel her hobby, She has always had me look stuff up mostly...and this stuff I have no clue on. I think most of it she will continue to rip apart anyways. But, if there is a gem in there she has not already sacrificed to the robot gods, she may sell it instead.

Thing is a lot of it has no writing. and all I know is it's mostly optics stuff... Weird mirrors that are in metal mounts and show qualities akin to asterism or pleochroism. lenses, scopes of some kind, color glass plates, and all sorts of stuff that i have no clue what any of it is, lol.

she basically wants me to look it up as she is thinking of destroying it for parts, to make sure she doesn't kill off anything that was actually worth something.

Well, regarding the 2-axis positioner; If you flip it over, so that the thick metal (probably stainless steel) post is pointing its threaded stud end DOWN, then you have it oriented as it was probably used. That threaded stud would typically screw into a baseplate or workbench, and the stereo micro head would be mounted to a post on the other end of the unit. But like I said, it could be used for many other things. You could even separate the two slides, and use them individually. They appear to be of good quality, and would make very nice adjustable mounts for all sorts of precision work.

BTW: If she's not already aware, you may want to tell your Mom that there are some very interesting parts inside of old hard drives (including some hella-strong rare earth magnets). Great stuff for anyone creative enough to do what she does.

Too bad I don't live closer to you...I'd LOVE to take a gander at that collection of optical hardware, and would probably make some offers on a thing or two.

Anyway, have fun!

well here is the bulk of what she actually has organized (there are many boxes of an organized things, this is the stuff she keeps in drawers with roughly descriptive labels so far). Beyond this some of the stuff is a lot bigger comparatively, and varies a lot. but with all of the unorganized stuff it's just...as it gets pulled out and looked at (which is what i had posted previously)...

WP_000210_zps8c79aa2f.jpg

WP_000218_zpse5df79c7.jpg

WP_000217_zpsac5eae03.jpg

WP_000213_zps492d0302.jpg