Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is one thing you did with your laser you regret?

Just a quick thread where members can admit to some mistakes they did in the past with lasers. Maybe it can help us know each other better? :beer:

My 1 Mistake:
- Last year, I had just bought my first "50mW 532nm" laser. I was terribly excited since I thought this was a true 50mW(it obviously wasn't :p) but I was still excited none the less.
Anyway, when I first turn it on with fresh AAA's the dot was bright and a beam was easily seen. After a while the dot became smaller and smaller and ended up being no bigger than half a penny. Me being stupid in the past and knowing nothing about lasers I aimed it in my eye thinking it couldn't do any damage. Realize this, I knew nothing about lasers and DPSS. I didn't even know IR existed in the 532nm process.
That being said, my eye sight is still fine but I am sure I have permanent damage that I just can't see. I really wished I would have been more caution and am glad of how serious this community is toward cheap eBay pens and their dangers.

Don't make the same mistake I did. No matter how small it looks, it can still cause terrible damage :(

Last edited:

The only thing I really regret with lasers is using my walls to absorb the beam from my 1400 mW 445. :p Scorched paint doesn't smell too good.

You're probably fine. Diminishing green output is always most likely caused by diminishing IR output. Crystal misalignment doesn't produce gradual fade.

Either the diode was overdriven and slowly dying, or batteries were dying. Either way, don't worry about it. If you said you can't even see any damage what so ever (how long ago was that?), it's fine.

IR is a funny thing. What most people don't realise is, that since you can't see it, the damage threshold is actually substantially higher. Plainly put, when visible light becomes too strong, the cells in your eye that percieve it "burn out" so to speak.

When the cells don't really percieve anything, like with IR, you have to have an output powerful enough to cause actual thermal/chemical damage (by absorbtion).

Like I always say, practicing and advocating laser safety and responsible laser usage is always a great thing, but when it gets pushed too far and starts edging on the "spreading the paranoia" around, that's not really all that great.

A while back I also heard that laser diodes were "radioactive" or whatever. I guess somebody heard light being called electromagnetic radiation after not enough cups of coffee and there you go, instant misinformation.

You're probably fine. Diminishing green output is always most likely caused by diminishing IR output. Crystal misalignment doesn't produce gradual fade.

Either the diode was overdriven and slowly dying, or batteries were dying. Either way, don't worry about it. If you said you can't even see any damage what so ever (how long ago was that?), it's fine.

IR is a funny thing. What most people don't realise is, that since you can't see it, the damage threshold is actually substantially higher. Plainly put, when visible light becomes too strong, the cells in your eye that percieve it "burn out" so to speak.

When the cells don't really percieve anything, like with IR, you have to have an output powerful enough to cause actual thermal/chemical damage (by absorbtion).

Like I always say, practicing and advocating laser safety and responsible laser usage is always a great thing, but when it gets pushed too far and starts edging on the "spreading the paranoia" around, that's not really all that great.

A while back I also heard that laser diodes were "radioactive" or whatever. I guess somebody heard light being called electromagnetic radiation after not enough cups of coffee and there you go, instant misinformation.

It happened over a year ago. I haven't really noticed any difference in my vision, but have always been paranoid about it until now.

It happened over a year ago. I haven't really noticed any difference in my vision, but have always been paranoid about it until now.

A year? If any damage did took place (probably didn't), and be marginal enough for you to not notice it, by now you would've made a full recovery.

'Tis fine :)

I know we're playing around with some dangerous toys, but guys, don't go "Tarantino's guns" on it.

It wasnt really a big mistake, but I left the lens cap on my laser and turned it on. Now theres a white dot on my lens cap. :/

Last edited:
Several years ago, I also foolishly looked into my "5mW" 532. this was before i joined the forums, or new anything about lasers. My one eye sees things a tad bit greener now, but thankfully I only can tell when I close the other eye. When I am looking at things with both eyes open I don't notice a thing. Sucks, but it was my own damn fault...Live and learn, I guess. Just glad it wasn't with a 445.

On topic from me,

I think I regret most selling those Arctics, that is, having to sell them. They were nice lasers and I'm not likely to see another ever again.

Time for you to hone your lathe skills and make a replica!

Edit: I had just fixed up a 24" 1920x1080 monitor that I got for free, was super excited because before that, all I had was my laptop's 15" screen. 1680x1050, but still.

Well, that very week, I completed my first 445nm build. While testing, I did not have it mounted very well, the laser moved and pointed at my screen. After looking where I expected a dot and not seeing anything, I removed my goggles. That's when I noticed that my laser was burning through the output polarized filter on the LCD. Now, it has a white spot the shape of a 445nm multimode :-(

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
It wasnt really a big mistake, but I left the lens cap on my laser and turned it on. Now theres a white dot on my lens cap. :/

Had a similar accident with my 1st build; I had literaly just finished my 9mm 445nm, when I left the room for a few minutes, feeling safe in leaving my new laser out on the table, since there was only my wife and I at home.
Wrong, although having shown no interest in my laser to this point, she decided to try and turn it on. From the next room I hear her say "I think I ruined your new laser"; I run in to see & smell smoke everywhere!
I had put a thick rubber dust cap on the lens, and when she turned it on nothing seemed to happen, so she turned it on again until it lased all the way through the rubber.
Thankfully, everything was fine except my new G-2 lens. 2.8W of 445nm at a distance of about 1/2" does a superb job of burning/melting! :eek:
Even after many cleanings, the lens was never quite perfect again.

I pointed my 2nd build (2.2 watt C8) out my window to take pics, but the laser shifted onto my window shutters (white of course).

Not only did the laser burn the paint but burn INTO the wood. Now i can't just repaint it, i have to use putty to replace the missing wood :p
THEN paint it

Whatever :D

:beer:
-Matt

IsaacT

I burnt a hole through my favorite blanket because I didnt realize it was blocking my 9mm build during a photoshoot.

I made my sister very scared of my lasers. She wont stay in the same room because she thinks she could be blinded by being near them....I dont entirely regret the fear tactics involved there.

I regret selling my Jetlasers Ti-A 532nm 250mW laser. It was one of only 10 ever made and the build quality was amazing.

I didnt turn on my lasers for a year once. That was terrible.

My brother thought my 6inch HeNe could light stuff on fire, so I looked into the Class I beam to freak him out and to get him to shut up. I dont regret it but thought I would share. I experienced no side effects as it is a 1mW beam.

Pulled a 250mW 671nm laser head of my desk while working on it , broke off the OC mount and damaged the Nd:YVO4 .....