Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What IR laser is safe

I'm on a night vision site in the UK. And were entering into a discussion on IR lasers used when filming. I know all lasers can damage your eyes (is that correct).
But you see filming on the tv with IR is the light they use safe. I'm new to lasers so that's why I'm asking.

Cheers craggrat

The safest IR Laser is one that is turned OFF.

If you want to illuminate a scene... I would use an IR LED
source like they use with Night Vision Cameras like this one....

IR Infared 96 LEDs Illuminator Light for CCTV Camera | eBay

You could use a Laser but it needs to be greatly unfocused
(or perhaps have the Lens completely removed) since it would
only illuminate a very small area.

Focused IR from a Laser is also very dangerous because you
cant see where the beam is going with the naked Eye.. it is
basically invisible.

Jerry

I use de-focused 300mW I.R. laser Diodes for NV spots and High output I.R. LEDs and LED arrays for close area illumination. Both are safe, if you always have them pointing away from you. NOT so healthy for your subjects, especially if you hit them in the face. The de-focused lasers and LEDs are not likley to blind you, but they will give you I.R. burns, if you get stupid (feels like you have sand in your eyes), but that usually goes away in a day (human eyes are pretty amazing about recovering from most light injuries).
Bottom Line: Like Jerry said, "the safest IR laser is the one that is turned OFF!

^That is absurd. IR LEDs are harmless. You must be thinking of UV.

I use de-focused 300mW I.R. laser Diodes for NV spots and High output I.R. LEDs and LED arrays for close area illumination. Both are safe, if you always have them pointing away from you. NOT so healthy for your subjects, especially if you hit them in the face. The de-focused lasers and LEDs are not likley to blind you, but they will give you I.R. burns, if you get stupid (feels like you have sand in your eyes), but that usually goes away in a day (human eyes are pretty amazing about recovering from most light injuries).
Bottom Line: Like Jerry said, "the safest IR laser is the one that is turned OFF!

You're insane... a 300 mW ANY laser is not safe to get in your eye!
Just to remind everyone of what can happen... http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

Cyparagon, Agreed, I.R. LEDs are mostly harmless, but LD's are NOT.

Guyfromhe, What difference do you NOT have the capacity to understand when comparing focused 1 Watt 445nm and a de-focused 300mW LD (prob'ly running at 80-100 mW)???

Cyparagon, Agreed, I.R. LEDs are mostly harmless, but LD's are NOT.

Guyfromhe, What difference do you NOT have the capacity to understand when comparing focused 1 Watt 445nm and a de-focused 300mW LD (prob'ly running at 80-100 mW)???

My bad, I didn't see the de-focused part... Even then you'd want to be super careful and actually measure your power density... Just saying that it's not something to take lightly and someone may misread that and think a 300 mW IR laser they have incorrectly de-focused is safe.

Guyfromhe,
I could not agree more about the caution. And I appologize if I made it sound like there was no hazard. My point was that it is not likely to do permanent damage, but it can do harm.

Thanks guys for your replies. I now realise how damaging a laser can be. You've got to be on the side of Cautious. Aand treat them as you would a loaded gun.
I think the thing is that IR lasers seem harmless against some of the gear you guys on here have. The average Joe sees IR lights been used on every day items like camera,s and doesn't accociate IR as been harmless. Even on tv you see nature programms using IR in the faces of people and animals.
I know the IR they use are led.
Please look at this video using IR laser about 2min 30sec. You can see the guys eyes light up.

NIGHTVISION GEN3 - YouTube

They are out shootig 2-3 times a week its only a matter of time before somone has a serious injury. Some of these lads out there doing this are my friends, and this is why I have a interest in IR lasers. There is scenes of rabbits been shot so don't watch if it may offend.

(Sorry, I don't see any IR Laser there (video 2:30), if there is a laser, is very out of focus)

By the way, I'm working on a project that involves some defocused IR Lasers, to be detected with an IR camera, I'm talking about a defocused ir laser that will produce a 1 inch diameter dot at 3 feet (2.5 cm at 60cm).

For those guys that deals with laser related maths:

How many mw do you think will be safe. There will be a protection perimeter of 3 feet so will be impossible for somebody to recive a direct eye exposure of a dot smaller than 1 inch.

Thanks!

(Sorry, I don't see any IR Laser there (video 2:30), if there is a laser, is very out of focus)

By the way, I'm working on a project that involves some defocused IR Lasers, to be detected with an IR camera, I'm talking about a defocused ir laser that will produce a 1 inch diameter dot at 3 feet (2.5 cm at 60cm).

For those guys that deals with laser related maths:

How many mw do you think will be safe. There will be a protection perimeter of 3 feet so will be impossible for somebody to recive a direct eye exposure of a dot smaller than 1 inch.

Thanks!
You have already asked your question here... why did you need
to open a thread with basically the exact same text...:thinking:

Jerry
(11000-418-37047)

Last edited:
Hi Jerry,

After i asked here I thought that may be I can reach more ppl creating an individual thread, many ppl just read the first post then go directly to a quick answer, so a different question on the middle of several responses could be unnoticed.

That is "why", but doesn't means that is the right thing, sorry if that bother.

Best,
Gustavo

Gbravetti
The video clip was taken using a IR laser. The point I was getting at was the fact that this guy was being filmed with a laser in his eyes as he was walking towards the camera.

^The power density is so low, it doesn't matter. Eyes light up from other sources, too. It doesn't necessarily mean there is danger.

220px-BoldRedEye.JPG

Laser_a2e078_395565.jpg

Craggrat:

Well I think that if the laser light is not focused, I mean not concentrated on a little spot, it doesn't have to be dangerous, depending on the power of the laser obviously, is like to watch at the sun, or watch at the sun trough a lens that concentrate all it's power on a very little spot.

if the laser is the light source of the video it is hardly defocused indeed.

Gbravetti, I think I'll stand on the side of cautious. And never take the chance of getting a laser in my eyes, or others.
I understand what your saying, but you can't take that chance. You only have one set of eyes.