Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What goes into making a heatsink

This is sort of a tribute to all the guys out there on the forum that do their own metal work. I guess this also gives members a bit of an insight, to how the most simplest part of their laser was made.

It took aprox 1 hour to get this heat sink perfect... but I'm sure more experienced members, with much higher quality machines could do this in half that time.

So here is the short video (sped up 16 times) on how the humble heatsink is made.

-Adrian

I have never appreciated the hard work it takes to make one, until after watching this video. +1 for taking the time to make this video.

Nice video! Might save you some time if you center drill first (b/c then parting becomes easier), after facing, then use a live center (if you have one) while turning down the diameter, and of course using a parting tool will save from having to use the hack saw (can be dangerous while the lathe is running).
All in all nice work. I'm converting my HF 7x10 to CNC and figuring out the most efficient tool paths is a B*#!$ but boy does it save time, and after all time=$$$$$$$.

That is so awesome never new how much effort came into the most unnoticed part of a laser. Those host look awesome also. Nice Work.

Thanks everyone for your replies... It does take a lot to make a very mundane part of a laser, but what would we do with out them? I really do enjoy doing metal work (when the lathe feels like being my friend) for the most part so it is not really a chore for me.

Nice video! Might save you some time if you center drill first (b/c then parting becomes easier), after facing, then use a live center (if you have one) while turning down the diameter, and of course using a parting tool will save from having to use the hack saw (can be dangerous while the lathe is running).
All in all nice work. I'm converting my HF 7x10 to CNC and figuring out the most efficient tool paths is a B*#!$ but boy does it save time, and after all time=$$$$$$$.

Very true Ramsey, but this isn't my lathe, its a communal lathe which means it gets used and abused by people who don't know what they are doing. Also with that, parts go missing. We did at one point have a parting tool... but I find grabbing a hack saw is faster then rummaging through tools.

I really should try center drilling first, really never thought of it, but it makes sense. Every time I get on the lathe I learn something new... so I will eventually find an efficient way of working. Thanks for the tips!

Thats so cool. I'd love to see someone make some heatsinks

You can come past some time when I'm making a few heatsinks... Might even teach you how to use the lathe if your interested.

Last edited:

jayrob

I think many people do take the heatsink for granted...

But it is easier to put together a complete build (if parts are in front of me), than it is to make the heatsink. (some small heatsinks may be easier)

There are people charging a lot of money just to build a laser, but the heatsink is what takes more time. (not to mention the tools required - lathe, etc...)

Trevor

Interesting to see one being made! :)

...but you forgot the background music... ;)

-Trevor

-Trevor
That reminds me of Benny Hill....:crackup:

@ bobhaha...

I like the idea of posting the video showing the
work and tools required to make a "simple" host
heat sink...:gj:

Jerry

-Trevor

Funnly enough, I was looking for that sound track, but I didn't know the name of it. Damn it seems youtube audioswap doesn't have it :(

@Lasersbee Thanks, really goes to show you how much effort people like jayrob, Ehgemus, FlamingPyro, moh and many more, really put into this hobby. :wave:

ARG

Wow, I never knew how much work went into making one of these! Thanks for the awesome video!

You can come past some time when I'm making a few heatsinks... Might even teach you how to use the lathe if your interested.

Man that would be so awesome. Maybe you will convince me to start making heatsinks too haha. I'd also love to see all your lasers too. I'll hit you up with a pm!