Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What first laser should I get?

Hey everybody, I am new here and am looking for my first laser. I want to be able to see the beam and was looking at a laser called the infiniter 2000 laser pointer. Is it any good? If not any others you would recomend(50$ or under)

If this is your first laser, don't get anything above 5mW, as any laser over 5mW will permanently damage your eyes if you look into the beam. Good places for 5mW lasers include Optotronics and LaserGlow. And if you think eBay or Amazon are good places to get lasers, think again.

Oh and, if you think getting a higher powered laser than 5mW is a good idea for your first laser, think again.

Hey, I was looking for my first laser and came across one called the infiniter 2000 laser pointer, is it any good? I want to be able to see the beam.

NO4H99

To see the beam, I'd suggest about 20 to 30 milliwatts of green. Is this primarily for outdoor use (astronomy, etc.)? Just remember that a laser of this power can cause eye damage - so safety glasses are most likely needed, esp. for indoor use.

SKeeZ

is this your FIRST laser or have you had cheap red pointers in the past? If you have had a red pointer, i would suggest a green 30mW (532nm). this will give you an excellent beam (at night). If you are looking for a REALLY good starter laser here is a 20-34mW peak 50mW green

Last edited:
Honestly walk to your local RadioShack and buy a red pointer. Go home and fog up a room. And bingo! Visible beam. Greens have IR leak and you don't want that. Get used to lasers and such before you go for power.

Honestly walk to your local RadioShack and buy a red pointer. Go home and fog up a room. And bingo! Visible beam. Greens have IR leak and you don't want that. Get used to lasers and such before you go for power.

LOLWUT.

You saying nobody should want green lasers at all?

Dude, IR leak of an 50mW output greenie is not dangerous.

How many times do I have to retype this?

Warnlasers is just as bad... Opto or LG. And how can you say that the IR leak of a 50mW green laser is not dangerous? Unless you're suggesting that 30mW+ of IR in the eye is not an issue?

Warnlasers is just as bad... Opto or LG. And how can you say that the IR leak of a 50mW green laser is not dangerous? Unless you're suggesting that 30mW+ of IR in the eye is not an issue?

Good god, you people.

First of, if your IR leak composes over 60% of your entire output, then damn! Not even DX sells crap that bad.

Worst IR leaks percentages, to the best of my knowledge, are around 25-30%.

So that's only around 15mW or so realistically, from a 50mW greenie.

Even IF those 15mW of IR were focused (which it is not, it diverges like crazy), YES I am precisely saying it's not an issue.

Please people, get facts straight. Spreading paranoia is getting worse by the day here. We got from "You may want goggles for Class IV" to "You don't want green lasers at all because they leak some IR. Also if you click "Buy" without having OD19 safety goggles, your eyeballs will f**king explode and and your kids will get cancer".

There is a good dose of sanity and caution, but currently where the forum is at with safety advices... it's just plainly insane.

Good god, you people.

First of, if your IR leak composes over 60% of your entire output, then damn! Not even DX sells crap that bad.

Worst IR leaks percentages, to the best of my knowledge, are around 25-30%.

So that's only around 15mW or so realistically, from a 50mW greenie.

Even IF those 15mW of IR were focused (which it is not, it diverges like crazy), YES I am precisely saying it's not an issue.

Please people, get facts straight. Spreading paranoia is getting worse by the day here. We got from "You may want goggles for Class IV" to "You don't want green lasers at all because they leak some IR. Also if you click "Buy" without having OD19 safety goggles, your eyeballs will f**king explode and and your kids will get cancer".

There is a good dose of sanity and caution, but currently where the forum is at with safety advices... it's just plainly insane.
Brilliantly written i was thinking what to write when you got in first,i had something i had to really do first so i didn't post. i don't think you missed a thing +1 if system allows

Last edited:
I can see the point of warning a new member to the dangers, but sometimes it's almost insulting when someone wants a decent laser and is instructed to get a a cat toy laser. But I also think over stressing the issue would make an otherwise nonbeliever of safety equipment, take a second to realize there is some reason for caution.

It takes a bit of extremist language to get the point of DANGER across to the unaware...

NO4H99

How about the green laserbtb pens? They're priced well, good quality, up to spec, have a nice key lock, and even come IR filtered for an extra $2 (if you're really worried about that).

That's what I mean by over stressing. I know all the warning didn't stop me from buying powerfull lasers for my first ones, but it did make me be sure to get few pairs of glasses and show caution with anyone spectating. So the advice will almost never be followed, but it will have some effect on the persons decision to protect themselves.

Ok, thanks for the info guys, I am a newbie at lasers and just recently starting getting into them. Perhaps I should have rephrased what I wanted. I have used basic 20 dollar laser pointers before and now I am wanting a more powerful laser in which I can see the beam WITHOUT any fog. Thing is, I heard some FDA rule that you cant have a laser >5mw..? Is that true, cause. If so how do I get one above 5mw. $50 being my limit