Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What else do you guys build?

I know atleast for me Lasers arnt my only interest.

Post up pictures of other builds of yours whether it be potato guns, boats, cars, furniture, art, buildings, ponds, etc etc etc!

Should be fun :beer:

Im at work so I dont have any pictures to put up at the moment but I will later!

horhay

no pics atm, but recently, a potato cannon, several high voltage projects (tesla coil, plasma speaker, ZVS flyback driver, tesla coil), a wind turbine... ive been busy this week :D oh, and wired up about 20 blue LEDs to the bottom of my moms car... shhh she hasnt noticed yet but it looks awesome. not sure if that counts. also a bit of chemistry, but only the flammable kind :whistle:

Ezcal

My speakers!

Crossovers:
pict3662.jpg

Taped for painting:
pict3786.jpg

Gluing the front baffle on:
pict3787.jpg

Primed:
pict3799.jpg

Few coats of paint:
pict3866.jpg

All done:
pict3876.jpg

pict3878.jpg

I don't have time for new hobbies :(
I would love to build a battle bot or an RC helicopter....
but between work,school,lasers,WoW,xbox live, and sleep....there just isn't any time left....

Building a dune buggy with a kawi 600 engine right now but it was only ever meant to learn how to build them, the next one will have a 1000cc+ engine, double superchargers, adjustable ride height (independent), transfer case (this first one is just rear swingarm/chain drive), fully road legal, with the option of pulling the rear rims and swapping out for snowmobile tracks.
There are going to be a few other options but that sums up the basics.
I also work with leather and have built leather armor bolstered with stainless steel plates. For both forearms and lower legs.
It took about a month to get accustomed to the weight increase but I can bounce across the blacktop all day now and just make sparks.
I make scabbards and sheaths as well but haven't needed any new ones for a while.
Just spent a bit of time improving a gassifier I had built a few months ago, it is meant for wood but I also built a big one for burning household garbage to heat a trailer I use as a workshop.

Took the fairings off of the sportbike last winter and remade them in 2X2 twill carbon fiber, then airbrushed lightning over parts of it. I had never used an airbrush (or carbon fiber) before but it turned out all right.
When I get a bit of time, I'll be finishing a set of kevlar+nomex+wool pants that are still on a knitting machine (I couldn't handle manually knitting) but it's VERY tedious so that project is one of the last of my priorities.
I have started a new business building traps and power snares as well. I am a registered trapper (and a horrible stereotype) here in canada and saw the need for these.
Tried lapidary work a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to try working with jade but it was so boring I just ended up on the sportbike every time I started carving... :whistle:
There are probably more that I am forgetting right now but there is always something new to do! ^_^

I put together, configure, secure networks, from the firewalls to the end user "monitoring" ;)

and everything in between.

dnar

My speakers!
Nice. I used to build speakers and design passive crossovers when I was younger. There is nothing that compares.... +1 rep.

I build all sorts of gadgets, gizmos and toys. I built my first computer back in 1977. Awesome for the time, it had 256 BYTES of RAM. One quarter of a Kbyte!

Mini-Scamp
Mini Scamp Micro Computer

I also designed and fabricated a tuned-length ram-resonant intake manifold for my old cast iron V8 running propane. Picked up approx 30% torque as a result and the engine ran like a sewing machine. I could balance a 50 cent piece on the engine and rev it out to 5000rpm... There is a video of this here: Engine revved to 5000rpm

dnar's shed

I also designed and build my own propane injection computer. It's in the link above.

Also into building scale model aircraft (current project is a model A10 Thunderbolt tankbuster), high voltage gizmos, custom computers, software and other electronic stuff.

World Domination is also a hobby high on my list. I have plans to become World Emperor and to build a Utopian play ground.

Last edited:

Ezcal

Nice. I used to build speakers and design passive crossovers when I was younger. There is nothing that compares.... +1 rep.

Thanks!
And ain't that the truth... I've caught the addiction and can't wait to build my next set of towers, haha.

Post some pictures of your planes! I think model aircraft and boats are very cool. My grandpa used to make all-wood model boats, usually around 3-4' long to scale. Very cool stuff.

Rafa

VACUUM TUBES HELL YEA
This one is not finished yet, it'll be finished this week, for sure.
Its a guitar amp, btw. A clone of a Marshall JCM800 2203 '88 except for the power section.

How it looks like right now:
s2010001o.jpg

The mess inside it!
s2010004.jpg

s2010005c.jpg

s2010006.jpg

250V :D +bleeder resistor. BTW I burn one of the with te solder iron, not for using underrate ones.
s2010008.jpg

Output transformer.
s2010010.jpg

TUBESSSSSS
s2010011n.jpg

How it will look when I finish it.
s2010013.jpg

Hope you like it guys. I also like normal electronics and, of course, guitar.

Rafa

@Rafa. Is that a 6v6 tube in the power section?
Yep. 6V6GT exactly.

I wonder if it will work. I get too low voltages once the tubes are plugged in. We'll know the next week. Here are some updated pics. Taken 10 minutes ago.
dscf1918p.jpg

dscf1919.jpg

dscf1922f.jpg

dscf1924j.jpg

dscf1925f.jpg

madog

Some of you guys leave me in absolute awe! You've probably forgotten more than I know.

My speakers!

Crossovers:
pict3662.jpg

Taped for painting:
pict3786.jpg

Gluing the front baffle on:
pict3787.jpg

Primed:
pict3799.jpg

Few coats of paint:
pict3866.jpg

All done:
pict3876.jpg

pict3878.jpg

My Chuck... post speaker boxes measured specs please! I own a pair of Crystal Acoustics TX-T2... I read so much about audio and how to build my own boxes that I ended up buying factory made ones :p The cost of doing them myself was a fair bit higher than buying the towers :D

Also, home theater setup plox!

(Yes, I do build something...which should be finished this week (hopefully)... until then I can't post pics of it).

A+ work, except for the paint.

pict3866.jpg

With something that big, you have to spray along the width, not the length. Very light coats, and a light sand after every dried 3rd coat. Do 6-12 light coats, with one medium coat after the last sanding. It should come out like glass.

Ezcal

A+ work, except for the paint.

With something that big, you have to spray along the width, not the length. Very light coats, and a light sand after every dried 3rd coat. Do 6-12 light coats, with one medium coat after the last sanding. It should come out like glass.

Thanks for the info! The paint was the only part I was iffy on... And while it didn't turn out perfect, it's better than in *that* particular picture. My next speaker project, if there is one, will be done with blackened Ash veneer, so no messy, sub-bar paint job. :)

My theater setup... It's basic, but it works for me!
pict3879.jpg

As for measurements, they're a 6ohm load, I'm only driving them with about 45W, but they're plenty loud.

Woofers are Dayton RS180 7", tweeters are Dayton RS28A-4's, shielded.

As for actual measurements, response curves, etc... I had them done at a DIY audio event recently, but I managed to forget to bring them home. From what I remember though, it was a pretty level response, until about 100hz, where it dropped pretty steep. Works for me though, I've got them crossed at 120hz to my subwoofer (3 10" NHT woofers and a 500W BASH plate amp).

I love them. :D