Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What else do i need to make a laser pointer??

well for starters- you need to measure that module-its likely 12 mm or 11.9-
so you need a heat sink that fits it and that host-

If there is a switch on that module you will want to short it so it is not being used-as you will want to use the tail cap clicky on the host-

if that host will take 1 li-ion that may be fine for that module if its make to handle two aaa batts-

almost all modules like that take the neg end(battery) on the spring and the +end going to the spring on your host-getting this wrong means a dead module as these rarely have Reverse Polarity Protection--you cannot just buy any flashlight and module and expect them to go together- you should have gotten your host from a forum member that sells these WITH the heat sink inside--in other words you may NEVER be able to use those two together.. I also hope you know well the meaning of 'duty/rest cycling' if not your module may have a very short lifespan.....

research first .....buy parts second--

hak

You are very welcome and what you did is very common most all of us did that or something similar at one time...

I only mention the hardware you will need-
You will want to research a lot more stuff
and learn the skillz that help to prevent killing your diode before its had a chance to be 'alive'
here is a short list- you will need to be very learned about:
ESD-
Pin-outs
Dummy(test) load
use of a DMM
use of an adjustable PS
soldering skillz for SMALL and heat sensitive devices that are not always cheap(but are easy to destroy)
reverse polarity protection
Diode pressing tools
correct eye protection for your wavelength
AND this list is not even complete..

Shop everywhere but BUY from other vet members--
try to hold off buying crappy tools etc- as you will need better later-

lastly
please add your location in your personal profile page.
LPF has members almost everywhere and hands-on help is the best you can get--
so even if you posted your location in your 'Intro-thread 'you placed in our WELCOME section unless you put it in your profile we have no way to know- AND how we help is sometimes determined by where you live and what laws etc you must deal with....
IF you have not introduced yourself ---you still can- if you want an idea of a GOOD 'intro' just read a few in the WELCOME section as a guide-

hak
(in TEXAS)

EDIT--
so tim- no intro??- not a big sin.. BUt starting two threads on the same topic is not good. I suggest you delete one of them and try to avoid that- same goes for double posting- we like for all to simply edit their post (like I am doing now) instead of having two or more posts back to back-

all pics need to be re-sized to medium- so they fit

most here will not even look at your pics IF we are forced to scroll in either direction--

use the search at LPF and google your terms too.

read the stickies and look at all the links you will get from replies to your intro thread-

If you are going to look in any section for help start with the stickies--in THAT SECTION FIRST-
then search-

no hits? try different search terms..

One place most newcomers find very helpful is our 'Tutorials' section- you can search within any section by using the other search bar 'search this thread'-- it directly above the OP.

good luck--hak

Last edited: