Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

what do you think?

ok i purchased an ebayser a while back that is working great.. im very happy with the thing.

its green and was sold as 150mW (i have not had it tested)

The sticker on the laser says it came from http://www.laser-rich.com

i went there and looked at the green lasers they sell and found that they have a few different models

the models range in mW from 130-150 and a 180-200

what are the chances that the crystals are the same.. what are the chances i could crank up this laser a little and not hurt it?

its a LAB style laser that is TEC cooled and has a built in mini fan.

it looks exactly like this http://i17.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/09/fa/621e_1.JPG

thoughts?

you might be able to get away with it but it does risk the diode and possibly the crystals.

but if you want to and it wasnt to expensive go for it. maybe replace the diode for a stronger one.

diachi

I think you could crank up the power, but give it a duty cycle of maybe 2 minutes, when it starts mode hopping or the power wont go up any more you know you've given it too much power, when that happens turn it down to the point where it is just not mode hopping or can still be increased slightly in power.

Be careful though, you will reduce the lifespan of your laser, and you might only get another 5mW out of it, on the other hand, you reduce the life of your laser and you get another 30-50mW .

Remember : Duty cycle .

-Adam

If it was inexpensive, why not?
If it's TE cooled I don't think a little bit more current could heat this thing up that much.
The thing you need to be concerned about though, is the crystals. Chances are, the crystals are already fully saturated. If this is the case, you will only gain maybe 5-10mW or even lose 5-10mW.
Over-saturating the crystals will cause problems (mode shifts, power instability, maybe even break the crystals).

So, there is a risk, but if it was really that cheap you can always just run it for a couple minutes to see how it holds up with the modifications and turn it back down if it has bad results.

You won't have a very noticeable visible difference if it works.

[quote author=RA_pierce link=1221752819/0#3
You won't have a very noticeable visible difference if it works.[/quote]

that answers my next question.. whats the point if its not gonna be that much difference..

unless i can see a difference, im not doing it..

Switch

Also , if it's TE cooled, the TEC could hooked to the driver and a thermistor or whatever hooked to the case of the diode to control the TEC.So if the diode get's hotter than usual the TEC may just work harder and keep up,though that may not be the case :-/