Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What do you do when the money well dries up?

IsaacT

Well?

When you are out of laser related money, but there is so much more you want to do, how do you make it happen?

1. Do you sell old builds? How do you decide which ones can be sent away?
2. Do you do odd jobs to make the extra cash? Sell plasma? Mow lawns? lol
3. Do you just sit tight and wait for the monetary drought to be over?
4. Do you don your hood and begin stealing from the rich to give to the poor(yourself)?

Some of these are obviously facetious answers, however I am curious as to what your MO is in such a situation. I am trying to come up with the cash for a 3W 650 Build. I am trying to decide my best route...I have purchased a special lens and now I just need:

$425 for the Diode
$200 for the Host
$XX for the assistance of pro's and for other miscellaneous parts

I am thinking maybe some of my lasers need to go...but which ones....? Not the MS-SSW, thats for damn sure!

Thanks,
Isaac

Work the corner! LOL J/K

There's a chance I'll be jobless 6 months from now. I'm wanting to sell off my RPL to help get some money saved up. I had it for burning purposes and to had a bright pointer. My 445 serves that purpose now. Burning isn't as fun as it was to begin with. Now I just want to collect various visible wavelengths. 561 is next unless I can find a 594 or orange HeNe. Right now a lower power 532 is all I need for that WL which is why the RPL can go.

IsaacT

I added up resale value for all the laser stuff I have, and I come out to about 2000 dollars. That doesn't include the CNI lasers I have incoming or the Jetlasers, so once all that arrives I should have about 3000 dollars in lasers/laser parts/LPM/etc. Just deciding what to let go of is hard.

I sell of parts of my other hobby which is militaria medals,uniforms,daggers etc and put it towards the hobby with the highest priority ...which rotates as i have a few hobbies that come and go but i always come back to them again, same hobbies over the years RC aircraft, militaria,models as in plastic aircraft ships cars,any thing to do with WW1 and WW2 collectable wise..and technology phones lasers electronics, most antiques keep their value so really come in handy when your short on money and can sell off to get cash for lasers etc ...if you need to move that 405nm laser look no further i give it a good home

Either sit in a corner rocking back and forth and pretend I still have money , or sell stuff from my other hobbies / do odd jobs now and then :p

That's a tough call, man. My personal collection is down to near bare bones at this point. I want a DeadEyeMo host so bad I can taste it. But, I am going to have to suck it up and do without, unless I want to save $50 a week for many weeks. I don't have enough left in my collection, that I am willing to get rid of, to pay for the host.

Screw it...I may just do that saving thing...

IsaacT

Yeah deadeye has some of my money haha. I am having a pretty cool host built. Although a part of me wants to sell my spot for the 150 down I paid already.

IsaacT

I am having them build me a Sirius1-B but fit for 10440 instead of 18650. The smaller parts get, the more intricate and detailed they look. My plan has been to put a PL520 in it with a Microboost driver.

IsaacT

I like it :D Yeah I clean up my room when I want money...I usually find about 30 bucks in change that I have tossed :oops: on the floor on accident.

I kind of tend to pull back on purchases once I'm tapped out. Save up again for a long while before buying.

Also want the same kind of laser, but it's going to be a while before I can put together ~$800-1k for the build. Also just hard to rationalize spending that much money on something that has zero practical value.

Personally I think I'll end up selling a lot of my lights and lasers in the near future, and also lots of odds and ends in order to make it happen.

IsaacT

I am currently selling a bunch of my lasers. If everything sells I will have about 900 dollars. The only reason I want it is for having a really bright 650 beam, which is somewhat nonexistant due to how dim we perveive the 650 beams.