Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

what diode do i take out of my 16Xdvd burner?

jeremy

ther are two diodes in my 16Xdvd burner witch do i take out to use in my laser? :-?

roSSco

I usually take them both out. Once they are out it is easy to tell which one is the red one. Typically it is the one WITHOUT the lens assembly on the front of it.

You could always apply low current to each one and see which one gives off red light.

DO NOT LOOK INTO THE DIODE WHEN YOU DO THIS!!! If you power up the IR diode and look into it you may PERMANENTLY damage your eyes!

jeremy

k nvm i am ok
but othe wise hwo do i get them out ............................i didnt shine it in my i i just had somtin in it :D

roSSco

First of all, cut back on the caffeine. ;D This isn't a chat room. :D

If you could post a picture it would be easier to give appropriate suggestions. Until then we will have to guess.

I often get them to come out by grabbing each side of the case with small pliers and twisting in opposite directions. If this doesn't work you may have to make a cut in the bracket they are in.

jeremy

ok i got htem out but it looks like only one of them has a beam the other is just metal kinda

roSSco

What do you plan to do with the diode? Do you have a circuit to drive it with? If you do, hook that sucker up! If not, you might as well stop right where you are and get or make one.

jeremy

circuit ?? im making the flashlight laser i have the diode flashlight and i order the laser housign

dont do that minimag laser, it WILL fry your diode, learn how to put together a simple lm317 circuit and use that, it will keep you from breaking that $25 diode.

...lazer.. ;D ;D ;D

JECS

hey jer instead of making a new post for a couple words just click the modify button :\