Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What did i do wrong?

i successfully built a red laser pointer out of a 16x DVD burner diode. I basically connected the diode straight to the power source (2 AAA batteries) I did however add a 47uf 35v Capacitor in the hopes of absorbing voltage spikes. Everything was working fine. Until I decided to do some testing for the next red laser pointer I would be building. For the next one I was planing on building it into one of those short and round 9 L.E.D. flashlights that use one of those plastic frame works that hold 3 AAA batteries. What I did was attach wires onto the terminals of the plastic frame work and attach them to the terminals where the batteries for the laser that I had just about a week ago built. I was trying to do is see if the diode burn out, successfully power on, or just not power on at all. It did not power on at all so my plan to use the flashlight would not work. So when I reassembled the laser with the proper batteries the laser powered on but with drastically reduced power. What do you think happened to make it not work at the right power?

you killed the diode ::) you should NEVER hook a diode straight up to batteries...

its probably the capacitor that killed your diodes
ive hooked many diodes up directly to some batteries and the never died on me yet
cant get a more stable and clean power source then batteries.
However a current limit (resistor or lm317 should have been used for optical protection

drew said:
you killed the diode ::) [highlight]you should NEVER hook a diode straight up to batteries[/highlight]...

Let me add [highlight]Never ever ever ever hook up a Laser Diode straight up to batteries. To much current!!!![/highlight]

laserfreak3d said:
its probably the capacitor that killed your diodes
ive hooked many diodes up directly to some [highlight] batteries and the never died on me yet[/highlight]
cant get a more stable  and clean power source then batteries.
However a current limit  (resistor or lm317 should have been used for optical protection

You may not have killed your diode, but I am sure that you reduced it's lifespan.  How long did you leave it hooked up?

Edit: I just saw that you said to add a resistor. Sorry :)